forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 13 Feb 13 12:23pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Sugar: The Bitter Truth

I came across this video a couple of months ago and it has really changed my life.  Everything I thought I knew about sugar and nutrition was flipped on its head.  A lot of things I thought I knew were confirmed, others were a complete revelation.  Living in America, the land of the obese it doesn't seem to dawn on us that something is happening here.  I refuse to believe that Americans are suddenly fat and lazy of their own accord and more prone to believing that something radical has happened to our food supply.  Nothing can take away our personal responsibility but so many of us, me included, didn't have the information we needed to scout the dangers of the supermarket.  Eating clean and healthy food can be so difficult in a market where everything is loaded with sugar, salt and additives.  I believe I found this video from this site, I can't remember who shared it or on which thread.  But whoever did really made an impact on me and I hope it makes an impact on others.  The video is a lecture about sugar, and it's titled Sugar The Bitter Truth on youtube. But I found a group of short videos that explain these theories in a much more comprehensive and easy to follow way.  They feature the same lecture as the Bitter Truth, Dr. Lustig.

The Skinny on Obesity (collection of videos)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?annotat … Bnniua6-oM

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 13 Feb 13 1:33pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Also worth investing in is Dr Lustig's newly published book "Fat Chance: The Bitter Truth About Sugar" - it covers everything in the videos and more, and explains a lot of the research behind the videos (which, I believe, should be mandatory watching for everyone, and should particularly be shown in secondary schools).

Well done and thank you, Koukou, for posting the series link  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 13 Feb 13 3:37pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Whats funny is that Dr. Atkins has been warning people about sugar and carbs in general but at the time most people didnt pay much attention to him. Apparently they were too busy being intoxicated by tv ads...

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 13 Feb 13 3:53pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

you show me someone who drinks 2L of cola a day....I'll show you a fat B@rsteward... mad

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 13 Feb 13 3:53pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

And John Yudkin warned about this in the 1950s, but was ridiculed by the Ancel Keys supporters (if you can get hold of his book Pure, White and Deadly it's fascinating how Dr. Robert Lustig's book parallels and then proves much of what was written 60 years ago).

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 13 Feb 13 9:18pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Koukou at least someone around here is looking at the links I post  tongue

Lustig has a bunch of nay sayers but most of them can be linked in some way to big sugar or big corn  hmm

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 13 Feb 13 10:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

sergio1972 wrote:

Whats funny is that Dr. Atkins has been warning people about sugar and carbs in general but at the time most people didnt pay much attention to him. Apparently they were too busy being intoxicated by tv ads...

Didnt that same man advocate a diet high in meat, cheese and eggs ?
I beleive that he had severe heartdisease and high blood pressure when he died ( from a fall ?) .
I am not sure that the Atkins diet is the healthiest thing at all .

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 13 Feb 13 11:34pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

mummza wrote:

sergio1972 wrote:

Didnt that same man advocate a diet high in meat, cheese and eggs ?
I beleive that he had severe heartdisease and high blood pressure when he died ( from a fall ?) .
I am not sure that the Atkins diet is the healthiest thing at all .

Dr. Atkins died from a head injury after a fall. I never heard anything about him having high cholesterol. He did advocate a diet rich in proteins with controled  carb intake from vegs. He was warning people about the dangers of excess carbs 40 yrs ago. The pharmaceutical industry did everything to discredit him.
And by the way as to eating fats and high cholesterol...some studies show that there isnt a direct relation. In fact the JAMA published in 1996 that cardiovascular dissesse was more influenced by  negative emotions such as rage rather than diet. For the record, Im not saying I agree with his diet.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 14 Feb 13 9:52am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

wine~o wrote:

you show me someone who drinks 2L of cola a day....I'll show you a fat B@rsteward... mad

As it happens, I see in the internet news today that an American lady (age about 31 I think) has died as a result of drinking 2 gallons of Coke a day - allegedly.  Don't think she's overweight though.

It's good for cleaning drains, however  roll

Last edited by Thistledo (Thu 14 Feb 13 9:53am)

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 14 Feb 13 10:04am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Not so good for your teeth though...a quote from the news report...

"Her partner, Chris Hodgkinson, said she had a poor diet and would drink Coke first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

All her teeth had been removed because they were rotting, and one of her children was born without tooth enamel."

Likes (0)