forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 13 Feb 13 1:11pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Sliced bread !

I guess it is a good thing that Wonder Bread stopped being made in the USA a couple months ago then.  wink   Don't worry it will be back soon though, along with twinkies I expect. There are way too many people who will line up to buy and eat all that chemically preservative goodness.  puke   Even if it doesn't come back all they need is a quick trip to Canada, Hostess products are still going strong here.   I have been tempted to become a millionaire running  twinkies and wonderbread down into the states.  It would just be like the good olde days of prohibition and Canadian Rye..  although this time it would be Wheat with a chaser of Sodium stearoyl lactylate..   tongue

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#12 Wed 13 Feb 13 1:27pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I'm converted. Where's that "like" button? wink

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#13 Wed 13 Feb 13 1:57pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We keep rye and gluten-free sliced bread in the freezer for toast.

We both prefer a bakery bread or homemade.  I had pretty good success with making gluten-free black bread and brioche, so will do that again.  It was surprising how good the black bread was, even though it didn't exactly mimic the sweet black bread from Alands Islands that I was trying to replicate.  It was a little more like pumpernickle.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 13 Feb 13 4:05pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

I can't remember the last time i bought a loaf of white bread.  I used to buy whole wheat or multigrain sliced bread for sandwiches or toast.  Most of the time i'd buy fresh bread from the bakery.  But now i have a bread machine, so i don't buy anymore bread.

I do remember as a kid thats all we ate.  Always a fresh slice with butter with our dinner.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 13 Feb 13 7:50pm

xanderlee

Member since Fri 11 Jun 10

I absolutely never, ever buy shop bread in any form.  I make my own every two days.  I use strong organi unbleached white flour, a little strong organic wholemeal flour, salt (though sometimes I forget, the bread still turns out ok), a tiny bit of sugar to start my yeast off, water and olive oil.

I have noticed more and more breads are being made now with soya flour...this has been done quite sneakily.  I am on Tamoxifen for breast cancer and we are adviced to avoid soya because of its oestrogen-like qualities.  I have no idea whether soya flour will have the same effect but darned if I am going to risk it.  Most sliced whites now have soya flour in, probably because the price of wheat has risen.  But you have to check the ingredients to see it.  Pity soya doesn't neigh  big_smile

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 13 Feb 13 8:45pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

xanderlee wrote:

I absolutely never, ever buy shop bread in any form.  I make my own every two days.  I use strong organi unbleached white flour, a little strong organic wholemeal flour, salt (though sometimes I forget, the bread still turns out ok), a tiny bit of sugar to start my yeast off, water and olive oil. big_smile

Lucky you to have the time....I only get to make bread at the weekends ....if I have the time....

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 13 Feb 13 10:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

we have a bread maker and my darling makes the bread as hes pretty possesive about the machine !
Its great and makes good bread.
Sometimes he makes dough and I shape it into rolls, bagettes , loaves or use it for pizza .
He mostly uses sunflower oil but sometimes olive oil.

I used to make the bread by hand several times a week and often twice a day in the school holidays, I have an old huge victorian wash bowl whic was grea for the mixing , kneeding and also the rising of the dough before it was shaped and proved for the second time.
In winter I  often made it last thing at night , shape it and left it to prove over night , in the morning I would just lift it into the oven , it was a great idea, warm bread for breakfast always went down well .
It didnt take very long to make the doung in the firsht place and kneading it rund and round in the huge bowl seemed to work just fine .

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 14 Feb 13 10:37am

xanderlee

Member since Fri 11 Jun 10

wine~o wrote:

xanderlee wrote:

I absolutely never, ever buy shop bread in any form.  I make my own every two days.  I use strong organi unbleached white flour, a little strong organic wholemeal flour, salt (though sometimes I forget, the bread still turns out ok), a tiny bit of sugar to start my yeast off, water and olive oil. big_smile

Lucky you to have the time....I only get to make bread at the weekends ....if I have the time....

I make the time..it is that or eat a product which could feed my hormonal cancer..
I work, fund raise for cancer charity, run a small holding, have lots of appointments in as hospital which is two hours away, home ed my kids and am busy just like everyone else.  I get up early or fit it in.

It is just a matter of being organised.  I take about 20=25 mins to do initial mix and kneading: leave it for an hour to an hour and a half so go and do other things..then final knead and getting it into the oven is only around ten minutes...and 20 mins to cook.  And of course you can freeze it.

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 14 Feb 13 7:27pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I buy a sliced wholemeal bread just for toast (I have a bit of a thing for toast).  It's only me eating it, and I tend to keep it in the fridge or freezer.

Otherwise I either buy wonderful bread at our local bakers, or my lovely MIL makes a fantastic rye bread for me.  We have a bit of a barter system going.  As the rest of my family are Coeliac, I bake all of their bread (yesterday I baked white loaves for toast, mock-rye bread and a mock-sweet rye bread).  When I bake for them I make extra for my MIL, who is also Coeliac.  Then when she bakes normal bread for my FIL I get some too! big_smile

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 15 Feb 13 1:05pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

BritFinn wrote:

... my lovely MIL...big_smile

Now there's a phrase you don't hear often.

Likes (0)