forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 13 Feb 08 9:11pm

Jammyboy

From Scotland
Member since Wed 13 Feb 08

Marmalade making

Help! For the last 3 seasons I have tried to make marmalade. However, I have a reoccuring problem - namely that my marmalade has the consistency of golden syrup!! How do I achieve that jelly-like consistency of bought marmalade? I have followed the recipe to the letter and used a cold saucer to check the setting point. Any suggestions?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 13 Feb 08 9:22pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Marmalade making

Can you give us details of the recipe you used, and what kind of oranges?

That way it will be easier to give an answer rather than a guess

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 13 Feb 08 9:23pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

Jammyboy what's the recipe you're using?  you need pectin to set, and the pith and seeds contain enough that you shouldn't have a problem getting it to set.  Show us the recipe, we'll probably be able to help.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 13 Feb 08 10:00pm

Jammyboy

From Scotland
Member since Wed 13 Feb 08

Hi, Here is the recipe. It is a 3 fruit marmalade from 'Organic Kitchen and Garden' book.

2 seville oranges
2 lemons
1 grapefruit
1.7L / 3pts water
1.5 kg unrefined granulated sugar

From the fruit I have put pulp & pips into a cheese cloth and boiled with liquid. Have also tried using jaming sugar with added pectin.

Thanks for quick replies.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 14 Feb 08 1:10am

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

You do have to cook the seeds/pith for a bit to extract the pectin, you can't just put it in at the end while boiling.  The ingredients look fine, but without the complete instructions, it'll be difficult to say exactly what's going wrong.  I've no idea what jamming sugar is, sorry.  Here's a recipe from Delia Smith that's similar to how I do it:
http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/517162

I imagine you could try this and just substitute some of the oranges for other citrus fruit, if you wanted to. Good luck!

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 14 Feb 08 8:19am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

jamming sugar / jam sugar is a sugar with pectin added already. Here you can get it with different amounts of pectin (to make jams of differing sweetness). Powdered pectin (without sugar) is also available.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 14 Feb 08 9:36am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

There should be enough pectin in that recipe already with the lemons.

Usually a marmalade has the fruit soaking overnight and also soaking the seeds (in a cloth bag) in water overnight. The seeds are then removed. This extracts the pectin.

It could also be that it hasn't reached the right temperature. As it gets close to being ready the bubbles will get small and thick, the fruit will get glossy and any scum will begin to disappear.

Your jam probably won't be as jelly like as the bought stuff, I don't think I've ever made one like that. It will have a looseness to it. Better to be slightly under than to have to slice your jam (i've approached that once because I'd left it on too long).

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 16 Feb 13 12:22pm

adlib

Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I don't mean to sound sarcastic but........

No, you haven't followed the recipe if it is runny.

Being runny simply means there is too much water. So, the solution is to reduce amount of water by boiling until testing on a cold saucer shows skin forming, then it will set & not be runny.

Simple !

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 16 Feb 13 12:56pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

adlib wrote:

I don't mean to sound sarcastic but........

No, you haven't followed the recipe if it is runny.

Being runny simply means there is too much water. So, the solution is to reduce amount of water by boiling until testing on a cold saucer shows skin forming, then it will set & not be runny.

Simple !

I made grapefruit marmalade this year following the recipe, using a sugar thermometer and it was still not fully set , but the flavour is awsome !

We have noticed that part of the set is making the marmalade depends on the freshness f the oranges.
This year my sister in law made 4 batches of marmalade , the first batch set easily and realy well .
It takes her 2 days to make each batch of marmalade and she makes around 6 jars at a time .
so as you can easily work out batch 4 was made about a week after the first batch.
she noticed that each batch was a bit more awkward to get set and put this down to the oranges ageing.

I know that everywhere has a had a lot of rain this year and I often thing that this also effects the pectin quality of the fruit that gets used for marmalades and jams.

Likes (0)