Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 16 Feb 13 9:02pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Allergy labelling...

I agree but for itens that are normaly bought ,things like Dairy products , tins of tomatoes, coffee, flour , oil etc its very helpful .
I find online shopping invaluable.

But I never buy fresh meat from an online shop .
I will however buy the organic fruit and vegetable box from them.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 16 Feb 13 9:26pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Que??

Can I read the allergen box online....prolly not..

Whilst I understand that these deliveries can be a lifeline to certain people...

Years ago I was a "Milk roundsman" and delivered much more than milk...then the "Supermarkets" started selling milk... far far cheaper than I could supply....

Now the supermarkets are doing a delivery service that I could supply 30 years ago....but have a virtual monopoly on,..I'm not even going to mention the problems with contamination here...

Likes (0)

#13 Sun 17 Feb 13 12:33am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

wine~o wrote:

Any way....It really annoys me that some producers "get round" the regs by using terms like "May contain xyz"
or
" produced in a factory that uses abc, but not on the same line"

No help to the person with the allergy at all...

I don't think that's getting around it. I think it's about saying that we have these things on the premises, and then probably "so you can't sue us if you get sick". To my mind it's better to have this information than not. Though if they say "may contain allergens" then that is lazy.

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 17 Feb 13 12:49am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

The White Rabbit wrote:

wine~o wrote:

Any way....It really annoys me that some producers "get round" the regs by using terms like "May contain xyz"
or
" produced in a factory that uses abc, but not on the same line"

No help to the person with the allergy at all...

I don't think that's getting around it. I think it's about saying that we have these things on the premises, and then probably "so you can't sue us if you get sick". To my mind it's better to have this information than not. Though if they say "may contain allergens" then that is lazy.

these are the baked in store items that are being talked about here , many supermarkets now have a fresh bakery depertmant ehere they bake bread on the premises , its not a prepacked product .  I am sure that they say 'May Contain Alergens' as there will be things like nuts in the area where the bread is made.  I have asked staff questions about the cakes , bread etc from these bakeries  in the past and had suitable awnsers .

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 17 Feb 13 12:56am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

wine~o wrote:

Que??

Can I read the allergen box online....prolly not..

Whilst I understand that these deliveries can be a lifeline to certain people...

Years ago I was a "Milk roundsman" and delivered much more than milk...then the "Supermarkets" started selling milk... far far cheaper than I could supply....

Now the supermarkets are doing a delivery service that I could supply 30 years ago....but have a virtual monopoly on,..I'm not even going to mention the problems with contamination here...

I do not buy meat from the online shop as I like to see what I am buying for my family and also because it gets packed in with other items causing cross contamination.

We were loyal to the doorstop milk delivery that we had for over 20 years and then the deliveries started to be unreliable and it was with great regret that we stopped the delivery . Our milk man did also sell other items but this was mainly at Christmas time and not all year round.
Yes , supermarket milk is a great deal cheaper than that we used to get from the milkman  , it is noticabe that it is also a good deal fresher with longer useby dates.
So  this is probably why many are turning to the supermarkets to get their milk rather than having the convinience of a daily doorstep delivery.

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 17 Feb 13 3:46am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Interesting thread. What are "Queensland nuts"? Macadamias?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#17 Sun 17 Feb 13 9:13am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

Maree wrote:

One of many names Macadamias go by...

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 17 Feb 13 9:26am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

They're "native" to Australia. We call them macadamias smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#19 Sun 17 Feb 13 11:24am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

wine~o wrote:

Maree wrote:

One of many names Macadamias go by...

Ive only heard them refered to as Macademia nuts , I did not know they had other names as well.

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 17 Feb 13 11:29am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

Nicked from wikipedia

Common names include macadamia, macadamia nut, Queensland nut, bush nut, maroochi nut, queen of nuts and bauple nut; Indigenous Australian names include gyndl, jindilli, and boombera.

Likes (0)