The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Horsemeat - let's get serious.

Ashen wrote:

I hope hippytea doesn't mind a bit of a sidetrack here

MsPablo wrote:

Isn't antibiotic use up to a certain point merely the humane treatment of ailments?  I think the problems stem from using it as a preventative measure all the time andl near the time of slaughter.

In  countries that allow these things.

The main purpose of using antibiotics in cattle production is weight gain..  For some reason the animals gain weight much faster when constantly  treated with them, it is the same reason that hormones and anti agonists ( these are basically the same meds that are prescribed for humans with asthma )are used. These things produce more meat , faster, thus being more economically attractive to producers.

Yep, a chicken with a comfy tummy is going to put on more weight quicker.

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 18 Feb 13 6:04am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

disease isn't the only  cause ..  even healthy animals given low doses will grow fatter faster on the same amount of feed.  It is a sideeffect that has been exploited for production , but isn't fully understood as far as I can tell.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#13 Mon 18 Feb 13 9:15am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

This article gives some research results about why low dose antibiotics makes animals (and people) put on weight: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic … -gain-mice

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 18 Feb 13 2:20pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

That's very interesting Joy.

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 18 Feb 13 3:24pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

MsPablo wrote:

your system is failing.

Has failed.....and why? The vast majority of consumers don't care what goes into their shopping trolley, so long as it's cheap and convenient....As evidenced by the queues of overweight people in Asda et al with trollies full of pre-packed, processed, BOGOFF deals....

Then they are up in arms when their "1 super-value 1 Kilo lasagne" isn't made with prime minced steak to an authentic Italian recipe by  Gino himself....

The customers have demanded cheap cr@p and the supermarkets, keen to make a profit, will screw down their suppliers on price...with the inevitable result that less than wholesome ingredients are used...

I reckon at some point over the last few years I've inadvertantly eaten Horse (Or worse)..as on occasion I've had no choice but eat in Beefeater or one of the Whitbread chains...

The solution?? Buy from trusted sources...Don't eat processed cheap food...and prepare as much as you can from scratch.

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 18 Feb 13 3:51pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Hear Hear, wine-o.  Where did it all go wrong, apart from greed, eh?  I worked all my life until retirement and always managed to cook from fresh.  Never used bought frozen meat or veg.  I was and am always happy to cook from scratch.  It's not as if it's difficult.  If you can read, then you can read a recipe, starting with the basics.  Is it the pace of life these days with maintaining a job as well as looking after children?

Tbh, I just can't puzzle it out.  In summary, it's about the greed of the stores supplying the rubbish.  The more they sell, the more they produce and continue looking for new low value packaged meals to entice even more of the ignorant.  Coupled with the producers who are urged to 'grow' even more meat quicker.

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 19 Feb 13 12:02am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

great link Joy.. I am not sure how I missed that in Scientific American.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#18 Tue 19 Feb 13 12:14am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Supermarkets, you know the ones, mugging and lying to us for years. Just like the newspapers we keep on being their friend. That said some are worse than others. Our local butcher is a good one, as are most of our local farmers market stalls. There are some crap stalls on the farmers market, but very few.

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 19 Feb 13 12:16pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

@nGoose1 wrote:

There are some crap stalls on the farmers market, but very few.

are you talking about poor quality meat stalls at the farmers markets Goose ?
I have not noticed this myself but then the farmers markets vary considerably from market to market.

The benifit from buying meat from the farmers market should be in definatly knowing the sorce of the meat and how it has been fed.
As ell as getting a tasty cut of meat.

Last edited by mummza (Tue 19 Feb 13 12:17pm)

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 19 Feb 13 1:39pm

siham.heba

Member since Tue 19 Feb 13

hippytea wrote:

So the horsemeat scandal's been a good laugh, and I'm sure there's plenty of humour still to be got out of it, but I'd like to be serious about it for a moment. I've had any number of conversations about it over the past week, with friends, family, checkout staff and random strangers at bus stops, and underneath the quips, people are angry and worried.

The fact is, the meat traceability system is a mess, and nobody seems to be keeping tabs on it.

So while we wait for politicians to promptly and competently identify the problems and fix what's wrong so that we can be assured that all meat sold is unadulterated and safe  whistle  what can we do to make sure the meat we buy is OK, or at least at low risk of contamination with unregulated meat?

I'm UK-based. My first impulse is to stick to British or Scottish meat, not because I think any one state is more to blame than another for this, but because if the animal was brought from birth to sale without crossing borders, there are fewer opportunities for fraud.

But the "British" or "Scottish" label can be applied to live imports that are finished or slaughtered here. At least that means I probably know the species (which is nice) but it's still a little longer a chain than I would like (quiet apart from the welfare issues).

What labels can I use to assure me meat was bred, raised, slaughtered and processed within the UK? Red tractor? Freedom Food? Organic?

All thoughts welcome. I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about this. For now, I'll be avoiding mince and sausages from anywhere but my local butcher, whom I trust; but not everyone has access to a butcher, or a good relationship with one.

Even if you're not in the UK, this is worth thinking about. This scandal affects everyone in the EU, and even those outwith the EU, don't be too sanguine. Industrialisation and long supply chains affect food safety more or less everywhere.

Likes (0)