Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#891 Wed 20 Feb 13 3:54pm

Terramoto

Member since Tue 19 Feb 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi, my name is Juani and im just a regular cook and i've been looking for a way to understand spices, not what someone knows that goes well with something like chicken or pork but what makes them do well with the dish. Im trying to learn to mix spices and so far i havent found a book or an article that would give me some hints, just lists of spices that goes well with beef, bread, salads, etc...
Is there a book that i could read about that?

Regards,
Juani

Likes (0)

#892 Wed 20 Feb 13 7:24pm

linda.belleville.9

Member since Wed 20 Feb 13

LOVING MEALS IN MINUTES!!!
Question: Red Chile? I'm in the US- there are many red chiles.  Not sure what I'm going for. Spicy? How spicy? Can you name the variety/varieties to look for?
Thanks!

Likes (0)

#893 Wed 20 Feb 13 10:48pm

AlbertStigsen

Member since Wed 20 Feb 13

Hey Jamie.

My name is Albert and im 16 years old and i love to make my whole family dinner and other meals. I want to let you know that you are my idol smile

Okay my question.

At the moment, i love to make a good beef and im i just wan to know what you would suggest i should use for marinating.

Sincerely Albert Stigsen.  big_smile

Likes (0)

#894 Thu 21 Feb 13 9:59am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Hi and welcome Albert.  For me it would be a sirloin, on the more expensive side, or brisket on the cheaper side.  Place the jont in a suitable container and throw in a good bottle of red wine,  bouqet garni and garlic cloves.  Marinate in the fridge for a few hours, turning once in a while.  The sirloin wouldn't take too long to roast.  However, the brisket would take, depending on the size, at least 2-3 of hours or more on a lowish heat.  Pour off the liquor before roasting and keep for making the gravy later.  Any cut of beef with a good marbling of fat (for the flavour) would be good.  Even rib, which is gorgeous.

Last edited by Thistledo (Thu 21 Feb 13 10:01am)

Likes (0)

#895 Thu 21 Feb 13 1:33pm

Jamie's Food Team

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

ciggieo wrote:

Hi Jamie - easy tasty recipe for leftover roasted lag lamb please.  Many thanks in anticipation of yet another delicious meal courtesy of your good self   help  crossed

Lynda
xx

Hey,
Have a browse online or click on the links below for a few recipes where you can substitute the meat for leftover leg of lamb:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb … r-root-veg
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb … ange-salad
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb … salad-wrap

Likes (0)

#896 Thu 21 Feb 13 2:55pm

ninela

From Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member since Thu 21 Feb 13

hi Jamie, can you please post the recipe from greek kitchen, it's a cake with honey and pistacis. I was looking when you cooked that on 24kitchen but I didn't write that.
Nice day from snowing Bosnia smile

Likes (0)

#897 Thu 21 Feb 13 5:53pm

Servicje

Member since Thu 21 Feb 13

Hello Jamie,

We saw a lovely recipe you made on 24 kitchen this week with steamed coconut milk and then it becames a bread by puting it in the steamer. I did'nt pay much attention because i had no steamer. But my wife surprised me today with a steamer, so now I am looking for the recipe. I had to promise I will make it for them. Thanks in advance. help

Likes (0)

#898 Thu 21 Feb 13 10:07pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

annie.gray.526 wrote:

Australian Crunch- yes the 1970/80's school dinner favourite ( cornflakes,coconut,coco,marg flour sugar) lots of mentions about it on the 'net, but my aunt in Australia asked me Why it's called Australian crunch ?  and I can't find out. Can you ? help

Welcome to the forum Annie.gray.526

I had never heard of Australian crunch before your question , we defiantly ever had that for school dinners !
I have found this recipe on the I Internet it says a bit about it as well
http://cookingfromtheheart.com.au/2011/ … onfection/

Likes (0)

#899 Thu 21 Feb 13 11:58pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I've not heard of/ eaten Australian crunch.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#900 Fri 22 Feb 13 3:57am

judith74

Member since Mon 04 Feb 13

Hi there,
a lot of your recipes call for meat to be cooked on high heat whilst coated in paprika.
I am originally from Hungary and we use a lot of paprika in our cooking. My mum has always told me not to leave paprika on the heat for any considerable time as it burns easily and ends up tasting bitter. In fact she always takes the pan off while adding paprika to a dish, lets it dissolve in the hot fat - which is the only substance paprika dissolves in - then lets up with liquid and only then puts it back on the heat. I, myself once coated fish in paprika then fried it in a little oil, by the time it was cooked indeed it tasted bitter and burnt. Totally ruined the fish. This has so far made me avoid all of your dishes that has meat seasoned and cooked in this fashion.
Any tips or thoughts on the subject would be welcome.
Thanks  x

Last edited by judith74 (Fri 22 Feb 13 4:05am)

Likes (0)