Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 24 Jan 13 6:51pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Re: Porridge !

My children like jam on porridge, because they can have it like that at school.  But here they seem to call all cereals cooked by boiling in milk and/or water porridge, for instance "rice porridge" or "semolina porridge", and it drives me nuts!

The pepper idea sounds interesting Joy    hmm

Likes (0)

#22 Fri 25 Jan 13 2:25pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Ha! I remember my brother being forced to stay with the Scotish familly, next door when we went to grandma's, god only knows how I escaped salty porridge gig, but I did. I remember Golden Lyle or something yummy going in the mix, back in the house. I remember Eco heads ‘The wombles’ going through a similar experience.They had a scotish relative Cairngorm the MacWomble. Madame Chorlet, used something sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpVcyCBjWPE
Since then Porridge has gone up a few notches, my last hits have included palm sugar cinnamon and cardamom.
Also tried ‘Eat like a Girl’s’ recipe with rhubarb, rose water, and pistachio.
http://eatlikeagirl.com/2013/01/09/reci … -porridge/
Alas, I had no rhubarb, it needed rhubarb. Niamh , has some fantastic recipes, well worth a look at.
My favourite is Gordon Ramsay's Mango porridge. Seriously, when you make this, your taste buds will love you forever. Not till May/June though it needs Indian or Pakistan mangoes.
The best Porridge comes from Alford in Scotland. Scotland has amazing produce, I love Scotland, looking forward to visiting there again at some point. No salt on my porridge though!
http://www.oatmealofalford.com/

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Fri 25 Jan 13 2:34pm)

Likes (0)

#23 Fri 25 Jan 13 2:28pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

Or please sir we don't want any more , if you are talking about Twizller and chips.

mummza wrote:

Pakman wrote:

Oliver would like some more  tongue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4iEdMMjqdA

he might well do Pakman bbut it was Gruel that young Oliver was after not porridge , Gruel is quite different ..
http://cookit.e2bn.org/historycookbook/121-gruel.html

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 21 Feb 13 12:07am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

Also Flahavan's Irish Porridge Oats are recomended. Niamh has converted me, to them.

Likes (0)

#25 Fri 22 Feb 13 12:42pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65165

that thread.

nowadays I always put vegetables, green beans or chickpeas in porridges.
I like making porridge with lots of spices as well. cardamom inside oatmeal together with dried grated carrot, topped with rosehip marmalade

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 25 Feb 13 9:34pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I always cook it with salt. Not much - I don't like it salty - but porridge with no salt tastes like a wet windy day to me. You know when the rain blows into your mouth? Yeah.

I use 3 parts liquid to 1 part rolled oats (the small flaky kind, eg. Scotts Porage Oats, which are what the Americans call "quick cook oats" - please, not those ginormous thick oats you get either in the posh stuff or the really cheap stuff). As for liquid, personally I'd prefer to cook it in milk, but Mr. Hippytea is a purist (SALT. WATER. NOTHING ELSE.   yikes ) so I cook it in water and then add my sassenach fixins at the table.

(incidentally, I'm entitled to sassenach fixins, as I am technically a sassenach -i.e. a Lowland Scot. It doesn't mean English, it means not Highland).

When it comes to the fixins, I may draw the line at green beans or chickpeas, but I'll try anything from the sweet end. Brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, syrup. I love a bit of cinnamon and a large amount of dark chocolate melted in, with a swirl of cream at the end. Nuts and raisins optional.

Mr. Hippytea does NOT approve.

Mini Hippytea likes it with milk and brown sugar. She'll accept honey if the brown sugar has run out, but reluctantly. She knows what she likes.

Likes (0)

#27 Tue 26 Feb 13 12:49am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Equal milk to water, salt. Must be (what's called here) "Traditional" oats (not "quick cook"). Topped with Golden Syrup. Honey will "do" (begrudgingly) if no Golden Syrup.

I don't eat the stuff. Too many (bad) childhood memories of "glue". The above is how my family eat it.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#28 Tue 26 Feb 13 9:19pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I was really surprised to find out that what I call "normal" oats are called "quick cook" in America. Most people here use that kind, just labelled "porridge oats". I never considered them a "convenience version".

I'd like to try doing proper old-school porridge with pinhead (steel-cut) oats. You have to soak them overnight, but you can also do it in the slow cooker, cooking all night. Probably best to use it as a double-boiler and put the porridge in a smaller dish, rather than cook directly in the stoneware pot, or it might go crusty round the edges. I don't fancy crusty porridge.  puke

Strangely enough in the land of porridge, pinhead oats are not that easy to source.

Likes (0)

#29 Wed 27 Feb 13 9:44am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I really like steelcut oats.  When I was working an early start dayshift a few years ago we didn't get a break for about 4 hrs. after start of shift.  I would eat steelcut oats for breakfast to keep me going and not feel hungry.   Toast or other types of cereal even quick cook oats or cream of wheat would spike my blood sugar then drop and I would start to get hungry and lose energy aroud the 3 hr mark.   Steelcut/pinhead are just such slow burning carbs that they kept me going and happy.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#30 Wed 27 Feb 13 11:43am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Ashen wrote:

I really like steelcut oats.  When I was working an early start dayshift a few years ago we didn't get a break for about 4 hrs. after start of shift.  I would eat steelcut oats for breakfast to keep me going and not feel hungry.   Toast or other types of cereal even quick cook oats or cream of wheat would spike my blood sugar then drop and I would start to get hungry and lose energy aroud the 3 hr mark.   Steelcut/pinhead are just such slow burning carbs that they kept me going and happy.

Please excuse me for my stupidity/ignorance but I'm unfamiliar with the terms "steel cut oats" and "pinhead oats".

Here, we have "traditional" (longer cooking) or "quick cook" (the name says it all).

Could someone, please, clarify where "steel cut" and "pinhead" merge (if they do) on the "traditional" and "quick cook" spectrum?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)