Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 24 Feb 13 11:28pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Veal

Growing up I was very aware of the bad press give to veal , about how the calves were kept in confined dark conditions to ensure that their flesh was a very pale colour and how the diet of the calves was very limited.
Everyone was urged to boycot veal , to stop buying it and to stop eating it.

As far as I am aware this led to many young male calves being killed shortly after their birth .

Now we are starting to see Rose Veal in some butchers shops.

I have a friend that produces rose veal and she tells me with that the rose veal that is produced from her farm  is produced from bull calves   The animals are allowed to suckle from a nurse cow and then once weaned they are able to graze alongside the young heifers during the summer months (and are housed with the dry cows during the winter months.  They are then fed grass silage with the additional of some hard feed when necessary.)
These little bull calves  that go into the rose veal would otherwise have be culled at birth.

Here in the UK there still seems to be horror when the word 'veal ' is mentioned , it is still not very popular.

I know that Hugh Fenley whitingstall is an advocate of rose veal .
http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/hug … SqTKFLy2So

At the risk of causing forum anarchy , I thought it might be worth asking for your views on rose veal .

(I know that this might be considered a fairly contarvesial thread , sorry)

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 24 Feb 13 11:44pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Veal

I have bought Rose Veal for the last 25 years........although it's not in every Butcher's shop around here, it has been possible to order it, & Waitrose has stocked it.
Always British, & the big no-no was importing French veal which was deemed to be produced as a result of inhumane farming processes.

I think the availability is somewhat patchy as a friend of mine in Lincolnshire cannot get it easily, yet I can. Similarly another friend in Gloucestershire doesn't even need to order it, her Butcher sells enough of it to keep it in stock.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 26 Feb 13 8:11pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

Hallal beef was and I think still is hard to find in the UK. Butchers wouldn't stock it because Indians even Muslim ones are not beef eaters. So if we wanted a Butcher to get it we would have to buy a whole Cow/Bull for over a grand, and divide it up between friends and family.
I got a few friends and family together and we were about to buy one. But then my Mum said someone offered us a whole one for 70. I thought wow, it is too good to be true to mean a whole one, but if they mean a single share 1/7 it is less than half the price.
When it was delivered the crate had less meat in it than a small sheep and was the same colour as chicken meat.
My Mum cooked it and we eat it, when I told her it is veal and veal means baby cows the flavour suddenly changed and my mum said we will never order it again.

I know veal is a by product of the diary industry. I do put milk in my tea and butter on my toast even though I know this would mean calves especially male ones will be slaughtered.
But I still feel icky about the thought of eating a calf.
I have slaughtered sheep and goats myself, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to slaughter a calf or a lamb or even a baby chicken. And yes I do eat eggs, but they just aren't as chicks are they?

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 27 Feb 13 9:35am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

well actually adulla.. the chicks that are hatched  to lay the eggs  are sexed right after hatching  and the male chicks are euthanised very shortly after hatching.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#5 Wed 27 Feb 13 3:21pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House

Yah I know,
Even so, that doesn't stop me eating eggs.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 27 Feb 13 3:25pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

abdullahcohn wrote:

Yah I know,
Even so, that doesn't stop me eating eggs.

aaaah those poor little eggs, life cut so short they're not even born... sad

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 27 Feb 13 3:45pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House

Meat is Murder not a Burger!
Don't kill Eggs they are not Nick Cleggs!

I had to. The Jobs of chickens have been replaced by horses, the next set of DNA testing in KFC will prove it.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 27 Feb 13 4:13pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

abdullahcohn wrote:

Hallal beef was and I think still is hard to find in the UK. Butchers wouldn't stock it because Indians even Muslim ones are not beef eaters. So if we wanted a Butcher to get it we would have to buy a whole Cow/Bull for over a grand, and divide it up between friends and family.
I got a few friends and family together and we were about to buy one. But then my Mum said someone offered us a whole one for 70. I thought wow, it is too good to be true to mean a whole one, but if they mean a single share 1/7 it is less than half the price.
When it was delivered the crate had less meat in it than a small sheep and was the same colour as chicken meat.
My Mum cooked it and we eat it, when I told her it is veal and veal means baby cows the flavour suddenly changed and my mum said we will never order it again.

Abdul that does not sound right to me , it sounds as if someone was supplying the meat to your Mum that should not have been being sold.
Being the size of a small sheep is also a worrying aspect as calves that size are not usually sold for humans.
The rose veal is quite different to this the calves get to be a decent size and are the flesh is a deep pinkish colour , not the colour of chicken meat .

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 27 Feb 13 4:52pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

I agree with mummza, it doesn't sound right to me either.  I've never seen veal the colour of chicken.  This scares me yikes

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 27 Feb 13 5:26pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House

It was very pink. This must have been a baby. I have seen calves that size slaughtered in slaughter houses. There isn't much of a Market for it here, but it does exist.

Likes (0)