forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#921 Wed 27 Feb 13 7:17pm

juliana.ellement

Member since Wed 27 Feb 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi Jamie! How do you prepare a Chinese Turnip? I was told you have to soak it in water first to see if it will turn green. If it does then you can't use it because it is bad. Is this true?
Thanks <3 Jul

Likes (0)

#922 Thu 28 Feb 13 3:33pm

Geert

Member since Thu 28 Feb 13

Dear Jamie,
I may have a question you may find to simple but anyway. It just concerns baking bread. I wanted to bake the old original style bread without using yeast. Just only sourdough and water and some salt. I heard that by placing the (organic) sourdough mixed with quite some water for a few hours out in the air, that a natural process would start the fermentation. I worked on it for six days, left it at a warm place with touching it, I noticed that some fermentation took place but hardly noticeable. After baking it on the sixth day, I got something that more looked like a cake, tasted ok but it wasn't the great sort of bread I expected.
Are you familiar with this process?
Can the outside temperature have an effect (it was cold) or any other idea you may have.
Regards,
Geert

Likes (0)

#923 Thu 28 Feb 13 5:38pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Geert have a look here, you need a little natural yeast, as you will find say, on the outside of a grape...

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=78646

Likes (0)

#924 Fri 01 Mar 13 4:02pm

TiaThompson

Member since Fri 01 Mar 13

I am making Mahi mahi  tonight with a mango, pepper & green onion sauce. Could you give me some advice on what to serve with it as a side dish. I was thinking of a mushroom risooto but not sure maybe a salad of some kind

Likes (0)

#925 Sat 02 Mar 13 2:30pm

Zees

Member since Sat 02 Mar 13

Hi Jamie. I'm having a dinner party and need a starter to complement your barbecued lamb lollipops with spiked hummous nuts?
Regards Zees  think

Likes (0)

#926 Sun 03 Mar 13 2:57am

Pellen

Member since Sun 03 Mar 13

Hi! In one of your programs "Jamie's 30-Minute Meals" you made a delicious pasta sauce of raw eggs and the pasta sauce got really softlooking whet you put the hot boiling pasta into the egg-pastasauce. I wonder if you remember this and if it is possible to have the recepie?
Sooooo greatful forever!!
Greetings Knut in Sweden

Last edited by Pellen (Sun 03 Mar 13 2:58am)

Likes (0)

#927 Sun 03 Mar 13 4:20am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

that sounds like Carbonara to me...    I am not sure which recipe he did in 30 min meals but this link is to 4 recipes with carbonara here the website.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/search/?q=carbonara

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#928 Sun 03 Mar 13 11:53am

ianleack

Member since Sun 03 Mar 13

Jamie Jamie Jamie, so frustrated. I have your books and watch all your programs (the best was the American School one) so I saved up to purchase your knives, a set of 5 in a wooden block. They were great at first, following all the rules to keep them sharpened I used the steel I have always used on my old knives for many years to keep them in tip top condition. I could not seem to keep them sharp so I went out to buy a good steel. There are lots of steels out there and I went into Bentalls in Kingston upon Thames (where you have a great restaurant by the way) and bought the Robert Welch one, could not wait to get home to sharpen my knives. I have been quite good at sharpening knives over the years but I tried and tried but I could not sharpen the knives, I tried the sharpener where you draw the knife over two small crossed steels but still no good. My friend the butcher of 35 years I though, great i'll ask him, no good still not as sharp as when I bought them. help me please. I want sharp puka knives.

Ian  sad  help

Likes (0)

#929 Tue 05 Mar 13 1:02pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I will never understand that kind of spam. It doesn't appear to mean anything at all.

Likes (0)

#930 Tue 05 Mar 13 1:19pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

hippytea wrote:

I will never understand that kind of spam. It doesn't appear to mean anything at all.

Me either and I object to having it eat into my download quota. Same/similar x3.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)