Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 06 Mar 13 11:44am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

"I don't care what it tastes like as long as it is good for me "

Yesterday I was in a shop buying some rice and some spices and there was a lady waiting beside me who decided to ask me about the type of rice I had bought , it was a rose matter rice .

Rosematta rice is a good flovoured rice, really nice, its a rice that is high in fiber and has a pinkinsh hue to each grain due to the little lines of pink that are embedded in the grains.
It takes a slightly longer time to cook and as I was once told ' use plenty of water as it needs to run about the pan ' ! so use plenty of water to cook it .

so that was the start of the conversatio that went on to this lady pointing out some sort of tonic that gives you endless health benifits but apparently tastes rather disgusting , and various other items in the shop whach also had great health benifits but aparently didn't taste great . She said that she only ate things with great health benifits but much if what she ate she didnt like.

she finished by saying  to me ..

"I don't care what it tastes like as long as it is good for me "

I try to eat things that I know will benifit me but they do taste good, I am not sure I would force myself to take a disgusting flavoured tonic unless it was a life or death situation.
I have sometimes eaten things I dislike out of politeness if I had been given it to eat when visiting a freind for example.
But I dont think I would activly go out and buy something that I really disliked because I thought that I should eat it because ' it was good for me' .
I like to enjoy what I eat.

What are your thoughts ?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 06 Mar 13 11:50am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: "I don't care what it tastes like as long as it is good for me "

Madness...there are bound to be other foods that are good for you that you do like...

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 06 Mar 13 12:02pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Crazy!

Haven't heard of that rice, Mummza.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#4 Wed 06 Mar 13 12:40pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I sympathize with that lady, I do get myself to eat things I don't like just because they're good for me.  I wouldn't force myself to eat something that is disgusting, but like for example I never really liked bananas.  Mostly because of the smell.  But they're good for you so I buy them, I've been eating them for years and now we are on friendly terms.... don't love them but I've learned to enjoy them. 

Also, some people are not foodies.  Some people are healthies.... meaning that they pay more attention to their health than food.  I suspect that the woman you were talking to doesn't really care about food very much which is hard to imagine if you're like us but it's possible.  We want our food to move us, to inspire us, to make us feel happy and comforted or connect us to a place or a memory.  But other people see food as fuel, much like the gas they put in their car.  I kind of envy that - wish I didn't care about food so much.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 07 Mar 13 8:38am

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

If its something I dont like I wont eat it.  Even at a friends house for dinner and she serves something I dont like I just say politely that I dont eat that. When I have friends over for dinner I always have my food in a hostess trolley and people serve themselves and if there is someting that they dont like they dont have to take it.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 07 Mar 13 12:54pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Sandy wrote:

If its something I dont like I wont eat it.  Even at a friends house for dinner and she serves something I dont like I just say politely that I dont eat that. When I have friends over for dinner I always have my food in a hostess trolley and people serve themselves and if there is someting that they dont like they dont have to take it.

If it's a close friend I'll do the same.  There's not much I don't eat but if I really don't like something I can't make myself eat it.  But out of politeness I do my best.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 07 Mar 13 1:26pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I couldn't live if I ate only things that were good for me but didn't taste good.  I am the opposite, my food has to taste good.  I do my best to buy food that is good for me, and I think there is a large amount that is good for you...it's FOOD.  With all things it's moderation.  If you keep the 'junk' to a minimum I think it's ok.  I do my best to eat what is offered at a friend's house, but I do have my limits and if it's something that I just can't stomach, I won't eat it. A good example is blue cheese.  I don't want it near my food.  I didn't eat dinner the other night at work because I went to a restaurant and order take out and I requested NO BLUE CHEESE....I got to work and guess what? Blue Cheese.  I took it back and didn't even get it replace or my money back. I just won't eat it.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 08 Mar 13 6:29am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

cohphanta wrote:

I couldn't live if I ate only things that were good for me but didn't taste good.

I only eat what I like (as availability dictates) and have minimal interest on the reported health benefits.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 08 Mar 13 9:06am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Maree wrote:

Crazy!

Haven't heard of that rice, Mummza.

this is what it looks like Maree
https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&a … F2djG1fJ_0

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 08 Mar 13 11:41am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

It is called red rice here and I was introduced to it be Sri Lankans. I don't like it enough to keep buying it though  hmm .

Re this thread.... All that beautiful work evolution did with us to give us taste buds and food that we need that delights our eyes and nose and teeth and hands and so and so on....
So much eating pleasure we are given, and it breaks my heart that some people are unable to embrace this magnificent heritage!

Likes (0)