#12 Fri 08 Mar 13 12:42pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: "I don't care what it tastes like as long as it is good for me "

beerforyorky wrote:

cohphanta wrote:

I couldn't live if I ate only things that were good for me but didn't taste good.

I only eat what I like (as availability dictates) and have minimal interest on the reported health benefits.

Ok let's take it easy now.  The woman that the OP met said she doesn't care what something tastes like as long as it is good for her.... that doesn't mean she only eats things that don't taste good.  There are a lot of things that are good for you that taste good too, we all know that.

We're getting carried away with flavor, being foodies we all know that building flavors, bringing out the flavor of ingredients and cooking with fresh food all leads to good eats.  However most of the world now is eating a lot of processed food and we have to make some drastic changes to our food supply.  If that means that we have to actively seek out foods that might not taste so good just to be a little healthier then we might be on the right track.  I was even reading Cook with Jamie and in the foreword Jamie talks about the loss of appreciation for bitter foods.  Nowadays we want everything to be sweet and/or salty.

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 08 Mar 13 1:09pm

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

Life is too short. There is too much good stuff out there, to spend time on stuff that doesn't taste good. Life is for living. Enjoyment is what makes life fun. Food is part of that living. Therefore, food should be enjoyed.

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 08 Mar 13 2:20pm

elementsresto

Occupation Consulting
From New York
Member since Mon 04 Feb 13

Well you just can go wrong with your taste. As long as it's edible then it's fine. In the end the only thing that would matter is your own satisfaction.

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 08 Mar 13 2:57pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

While shopping in California, I was handed a shots of juiced wheat grass as a freebie.  It made me very grateful for the extreme abundance and variety of good-tasting, healthful foods available because that stuff tasted rank.

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 08 Mar 13 3:33pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

MsPablo wrote:

While shopping in California, I was handed a shots of juiced wheat grass as a freebie.  It made me very grateful for the extreme abundance and variety of good-tasting, healthful foods available because that stuff tasted rank.

But, hey, it's trendy smile. (Has been for some years. Will soon be "so yesterday"). Wonder what will be the "next big thing".

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#17 Fri 08 Mar 13 6:31pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Maree wrote:

MsPablo wrote:

But, hey, it's trendy smile. (Has been for some years. Will soon be "so yesterday"). Wonder what will be the "next big thing".

It's not trendy here, but it will never go out of style.  It's good stuff and it's just a shot.  Once in a while it's a great perk me up.

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 08 Mar 13 6:37pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

3 words....

Cod Liver Oil....

puke

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 08 Mar 13 11:01pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

We only eat Basmati.

Anyway we have some Cod liver oil that is way past its sellby date. No one can bring themselves to drink it.

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 09 Mar 13 10:49pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Basmati all the way for us, but I don't know what kind they make the rice flakes out of for porridge.

No to eating something just because it is healthy. There are probably a dozen alternatives that taste good.

NO cod liver oil for us, no not ever. puke

Likes (0)