forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 10 Mar 13 8:46pm

Lilacmira58

Member since Sun 10 Mar 13

Ministry Of Food Cookbook

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and have just had a bit of a disaster with the Beef and ale stew recipe in Jamie's Ministry Of Food cookbook. The recipe said to cook it for 3 hours at 200 degrees centigrade. I'm a novice cook but an avid cookery programme watcher and instinct told me this was wrong but I figured I should trust the recipe. Well, after 2.5 hours the stew was incinerated. Really disappointing and expensive. Do you think it might have been a typo in the recipe?  sad

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 10 Mar 13 8:51pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

Re: Ministry Of Food Cookbook

May have been a typo....more like you got your C's mixed up with your F's. Don't know of anything that will take 3 hours of 200 degrees centigrade, without looking like charcoal after this time.

Terry

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 10 Mar 13 8:59pm

Lilacmira58

Member since Sun 10 Mar 13

Deffo didn't read it wrong. Recipe says 200C/400F/gas 6!! I read and re-read the recipe and knew instinctively it was wrong! Should have gone with my gut feeling! Ah well, chalk it up to experience I guess!!

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 10 Mar 13 9:39pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 10 Mar 13 10:28pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

I'd say 200 was way too high... 150C for that time would be about right.....

adjust according to your particular oven..

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 11 Mar 13 4:51pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I'd have said the 180C specified in the linked recipe page was also pushing it a bit too for 3 hrs (esp as no mention is made about reducing the temp. for fan ovens either).......

......I would tend to give it 180C for the first hour & then drop it down to 150-160C for the remaining 2 hrs depending on your oven.

It's important with raw meat to give the dish a good blast of heat when it first goes into the oven for at least 1/2hr, then it's ok to drop the temperature.

Last edited by minerva (Mon 11 Mar 13 4:53pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 12 Mar 13 9:55am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I just read the recipe..   I think it is a matter of a missed step in the method.. where it says that you can cook it at a slow simmer on the hob or in the oven. I think it should have stated that the oven needs to be turned down.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#8 Tue 12 Mar 13 1:49pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

That is how I saw the recipe too Ashen.  It says 'slow-simmer' and that is always how long braises work - you brown, bring all the ingredients up to a simmer, then reduce the heat so it is barely simmering.

This type of dish is almost foolproof in a slow cooker.  The way the slow cooker holds moisture and even, low heat is ideal for this type of dish.

Likes (0)