forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sun 10 Mar 13 9:47pm

kah22

Member since Mon 04 Apr 11

Re: Can I Freeze Scone Dough For Future Use

Well I've made a few batches with frozen dough and they turn out just as goods as baking fresh.

Two tips. If you are using egg wash putt a little on before freezing the dough and when you are ready to pop them give them another wash with a little milk.

It will take about twenty minutes for the scone to cook and I usually remove mine from the freezer just after I turn on the cooker

Kevin

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 11 Mar 13 11:23am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Scones freeze very well when baked, so why shouldn't the dough?  There's logic for ya.

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 11 Mar 13 1:51pm

MarielH

Forum champ
Occupation Retired youngster but keeping busy!!
From Scotland
Member since Sun 14 Dec 08

I would love to know if you can freeze the scone dough mix.

I often freeze scones for future use eg cheese scones and are fine when they come out of the freezer - but they are so nice when they are still warm.

Next time will experiment and try freezing a couple.  A friend got a recipe for scones which contained natural yoghurt - keep meaning to try this one!

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 11 Mar 13 2:06pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Suppose using natural yoghurt would be similar to using buttermilk, which I think is lovely in scones.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 13 Mar 13 7:45am

MarielH

Forum champ
Occupation Retired youngster but keeping busy!!
From Scotland
Member since Sun 14 Dec 08

Still to try this recipe Thistledo - but going to give it a go!

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 13 Mar 13 6:01pm

kah22

Member since Mon 04 Apr 11

I do freeze my dough and it does seem to work.

So why freeze the dough and not the complete baked scone? Well I've never really been able to de-freeze a scone and have it taste as good as one freshly out of the oven.

I've found that if I freeze the dough I can bake it from frozen in about twenty minutes from the time the oven hits the right temperature (about 200 c)

Before popping them into  the freezer I give the top of them a light egg wash, and again before popping them into the preheated oven I'll give them another little wash.

For myself it means that I can make up two or three batches of scones at the one time: plain, fruit, cherry and freeze them in separate containers so if I want two fruit and three plain it's just a matter of removing them from the freezer! I make my scones with buttermilk

There is probably a more organized way of doing this but hey I bake because I enjoy it  big_smile

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 13 Mar 13 6:04pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I think that's a good idea. Scones are far better fresh - unlike bread, they lose a lot of their appeal after they've cooled down and lost the soft-crisp contrast between the middle and the crust. Most soda breads are like that too. So I like your method, kah22.

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 15 Mar 13 3:18pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Good advice mincepie. I have just used the lemon milk bicarb idea in a banana pecan choc loaf from a Thomasina Miers book. A superb result, good book.
I have frozen pizza dough, I don’t know if this will work , I hope so, having a few pizza balls on hand is cool.

Likes (0)