Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#941 Sat 09 Mar 13 8:23pm

VHeilmann

Member since Sat 09 Mar 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Last night I prepared the "Quick chicken Tajine with Minty Couscous" from JO's IPhone app. The taste of the dish was wonderful, but it turned out much too "soupy", even though I had already cut back way back from the recommended four cups of stock or water to be added before the dish is covered and allowed to simmer.
I believe there was a similar post by someone else about this earlier, but cannot find it again.
Based on my experience and last night's result, I suggest this recipe be revisited and possibly adjusted.
If there is anything that I missed or may have done wrong, please let me know. Otherwise this is a fine dish with excellent flavors, (just too much liquid).

Likes (0)

#942 Mon 11 Mar 13 2:36pm

julia coral

Member since Mon 11 Mar 13

Hi - I made a batch of great ravioli yesterday and did a trial batch in the freezer ( advice taken from this forum), cooked from frozen and they were great. I stored the rest in the fridge layered between cling wrap, and that seems to have worked ie they are not sweating and then sticking to each other.
My question is why have the edges gone an unattractive colour. My common sense tells me it is the egg yolk and next time I should only use the whites to seal them? Any tips here and any other storage tips to stop them sticking together for at least a day would be most welcome.The freezing option is good but would prefer not to if possible. smile

Likes (0)

#943 Mon 11 Mar 13 11:25pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

dont know about that, but I hate bananas.

Likes (0)

#944 Fri 15 Mar 13 7:13pm

gayle.alton.10

Member since Fri 15 Mar 13

Hi Jaimie,  this is about your cutting boards and meals serving boards. What kind of wood if any particular kind and how did you treat them for service. I love the idea and have accesss to lots of wood. It would be fun to serve my friends on planks.
I live on Manitoulin Island in Ontario Canada. It would be such a thrill to have you visit if not on the island but near enough to attend a seminar or demonstration .
I am a newly  retired  ( at an early age by the way)   Educational Assistant and see what is happening to kids and their diets and health . Keep up the good work and I watch you every chance I get.
wink
Gayle.

Likes (0)

#945 Fri 15 Mar 13 8:30pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

RedfoxEstonia wrote:

dont know about that, but I hate bananas.

Funny that...I love the smell of raw bananas...but not the taste....(I can't think of a single other foodstuff that I love the smell of...but not the taste??)

However I like cooked bananas......How bizarre..

Likes (0)

#946 Sat 16 Mar 13 9:27am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

julia coral wrote:

Hi - I made a batch of great ravioli yesterday and did a trial batch in the freezer ( advice taken from this forum), cooked from frozen and they were great. I stored the rest in the fridge layered between cling wrap, and that seems to have worked ie they are not sweating and then sticking to each other.
My question is why have the edges gone an unattractive colour. My common sense tells me it is the egg yolk and next time I should only use the whites to seal them? Any tips here and any other storage tips to stop them sticking together for at least a day would be most welcome.The freezing option is good but would prefer not to if possible. smile

Welcome to the forum julia coral  smile

I usually brush over the lower pasta sheet with water before I put on the top sheet of pasta over the filling .
I have not used egg so maybe you are right .

Likes (0)

#947 Sun 17 Mar 13 5:41am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

I was wandering:

what is everyones´ opinion on the silicone cooking vessels? like silicone ovenware?
I really am resistant to using them. They seem so yucky.

Likes (0)

#948 Sun 17 Mar 13 1:53pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I have used silicone muffin molds and spatulas.  The only problem I have had was that they picked up a soap odor from the dishwasher, so they really should only be hand washed or that aroma will go in to the food you are baking.  They come clean easily and nothing sticks to them.  There's no need to oil or flour them before baking even a very sticky dough.

Likes (0)

#949 Sun 17 Mar 13 3:32pm

amber.m.martin.94

Member since Sun 17 Mar 13

Hi jammmiieee smile

Me and a friend cook weekly for our housmates. There are ten of us in total, and as we are students we have limited cash and we only have access to a small microwave oven and a hob with four rings (electric) We also only have an hour to cook. We are known for always delivering delicious meals on time but this week i cannot think of something to cook, do you have any suggestions?
big_smile  big_smile

Likes (0)

#950 Mon 18 Mar 13 8:13am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Hard Boiled Eggs.

If I buy commercially manufactured Scotch Eggs (which I can't here anyway) the yoke is always in the middle. I cannot boil eggs and keep the yoke in the middle. Is there a secret of which I'm unaware?

Cheers

Y

Likes (0)