Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 17 Mar 13 6:13pm

CarlosAntonio

Forum champ
Occupation Administration for an Awesome Company!
From Arequipa, Peru
Member since Tue 16 Oct 07

The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread

What do you think is the most creative thing, gadget, food, appliance or whatever that you absolutely love?

Manual Hand Crank Mixer/Beater

I recently moved to Lima, Peru. In the apartment I moved into it had a manual old hand crank mixer. It hung on the wall above the stove for 3 weeks and I decided I would try to use it. At first I used it just for scrambling eggs and then I was hooked.

After using it I don't know why I would ever use an electric mixer again. (Even though I know I will.)

Last edited by CarlosAntonio (Sun 17 Mar 13 8:33pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 18 Mar 13 2:43am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread

I don't know about whether it's "the best thing since sliced bread" but I'm loving my new slow cooker. The insert can go directly on the hob.

It saves on washing up but, more importantly for me, the caramelised fond adds to the flavour of the dish.

I'm experimenting with converting some if my favourite Indian and Asian recipes to recipes that I can make in the slow cooker as the weather cools down. Success so far.

The new slow cooker certainly is an improvement on the one I was given as a wedding present smile.

Last edited by Maree (Mon 18 Mar 13 2:45am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#3 Tue 19 Mar 13 12:08am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I have quite a few. My dishwasher is probably my biggest help, but I will scale down from whitegoods!

There is my pressure cooker, which I was without for most of last year and it showed me how much I love it and depend on it. However I am not very creative with it (yet).

Maybe it is the modern scrapers with their beautiful flexibility and heat resistance, they make so many tasks easier and more efficient. I do think I feel more creative with a few of them in my utensil stand.

No, I think I will choose my little electric spice grinder! I love how quickly I can grind spices and spice mixes and I always seem to be doing that when I am most creative! smile

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 19 Mar 13 5:35pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

it would have to be my trusty Magimix , I really cant manage without it , sounds rediculous I know but its true !

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 19 Mar 13 6:08pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

I don't think sliced bread is great. whistle

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 19 Mar 13 7:25pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I don't think sliced bread is the wonder of the world either......I would much rather have my pasta machine.
Fresh bread doesn't need a gadget, but pasta on the other hand....

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 19 Mar 13 10:00pm

CarlosAntonio

Forum champ
From Arequipa, Peru

OMG Dear Friends, "The best thing since sliced bread" is just an expression. I could have said "Since the invention of the wheel" or The best thing since peanut butter met jelly." HAHAHAH

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 19 Mar 13 10:05pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

CarlosAntonio wrote:

OMG Dear Friends, "The best thing since sliced bread" is just an expression. I could have said "Since the invention of the wheel" or The best thing since peanut butter met jelly." HAHAHAH

We get you big_smile. "Peanut butter and jelly [jam]"?  puke wink.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (1)

#9 Tue 19 Mar 13 10:32pm

CarlosAntonio

Forum champ
From Arequipa, Peru

No worries! Cheers! big_smile

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 20 Mar 13 6:50am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

'The best thing since sliced bread ' is an expression here also. It's a common expression here in the UK also.

I've also heard people say ' best thing since the invention of the wheel'

But here in the UK I have never heard ..'the best thing since peanut butter met jelly' (jam) , probably because we don't realy eat peanut butter and jam ( jelly) together . I am not saying that nobody does its just that we tend to eat them seperatly ... Peanut butter or jam just not together .

Likes (0)