forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 20 Mar 13 12:44pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread

Hello Carlos!  Hope you are enjoying life in Lima.  Share some photos if you get a chance.

I purchased a fancy cheese slicer from a kitchen shop in Helsinki that I use all the time.  It's such a small thing, but well made and it works great.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 22 Mar 13 8:04pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

--

I use my food processor almost every day for some task or other but my kitchen baby is my KitchenAid.

It kneads dough, beats butter & sugar into submission, whips meringue & has pasta rolling & cutting attachments.

Freshly made pasta is so much fun with my Marlene - everyone must name their KitchenAid. Didn't you now?

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 23 Mar 13 12:53pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

MsPablo wrote:

I purchased a fancy cheese slicer from a kitchen shop in Helsinki that I use all the time.  It's such a small thing, but well made and it works great.

Those cheese slicers are definitely great.  But if we're talking small things, then for me it's probably the humble y-shaped veg peeler.  I use it for so much more that just peeling veg, I slice carrots, cucumber, veg for stirfrys, so fast and easy to use.  It would definitely go with me to a desert island.   smile

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 23 Mar 13 1:01pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

BritFinn wrote:

But if we're talking small things, then for me it's probably the humble y-shaped veg peeler.  I use it for so much more that just peeling veg, I slice carrots, cucumber, veg for stirfrys, so fast and easy to use.  It would definitely go with me to a desert island.   smile

I hate them! Must be really, really clumsy but I just about took the top of a finger off first time I tried one. It was quite expensive but it went into the rubbish bin.

Prefer the swivel peeler. Each to their own smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#15 Sat 23 Mar 13 1:07pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

yikes   We both cut ourselves on the new food processor blade when soaping it up.  Now, we put it in the dishwasher.  That thing is simply impossible to hang on to when it's soapy and the blades are demonically sharp.

eta:  I watched the herb gardener video Merlin recently noted and the British gardener uses the term 'best thing since sliced bread', so I think that wino and minnie were really just taking issue with the literal meaning of the phrase, not that they don't understand how it is used in this context. smile

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 23 Mar 13 1:11pm)

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 23 Mar 13 1:28pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Friizz, my KitchenAid is simply called my Best Friend, because apart from hubby, it is.

I've made butter in mine too.

Last edited by Thistledo (Sat 23 Mar 13 1:29pm)

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 12 May 13 11:01pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

mummza wrote:

But here in the UK I have never heard ..'the best thing since peanut butter met jelly' (jam) , probably because we don't realy eat peanut butter and jam ( jelly) together . I am not saying that nobody does its just that we tend to eat them seperatly ... Peanut butter or jam just not together .

A foul combination altogether..........give me Marmite & spready cheese in preference any day!

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 12 May 13 11:07pm

Maree

Forum super champ

minerva wrote:

A foul combination altogether..........give me Marmite & spready cheese in preference any day!

LOL big_smile

Likes (0)

#19 Mon 13 May 13 1:15am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

You know me, Maree.............I like to throw in the odd p*ss-taking comment!
Just to see if anyone notices.

There doesn't appear to be much humour on here nowadays. Everyone tends to be very literal & terribly earnest.

Likes (0)

#20 Mon 13 May 13 5:13am

Maree

Forum super champ

minerva wrote:

You know me, Maree.............I like to throw in the odd p*ss-taking comment!
Just to see if anyone notices.

I noticed, Min wink.

There doesn't appear to be much humour on here nowadays. Everyone tends to be very literal & terribly earnest.

So I've noticed, Min hmm. Takes all sorts, I guess ...

Likes (1)