Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 25 Mar 13 12:16pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: oil and coriander

janaxx wrote:

I crunched through coriander leaves in a takeaway sandwich today and I was moved to log in regarding a thread I started a while ago.I am surprised there haven't been more contributions to my thread oil and coriander. There are so many people who are physically sick if they get a hint of coriander in their food,including myself. This vile herb ruins food due to its ability to overpower anything in its wake! There is actually a website named I hate coriander (cilantro)Guess who is a fully fledged member. A plea to all cooks,just stop it. I am so sick of picking coriander leaves out of everything in restaurants. Rant over, although I know I speak for a great majority of people.  puke

So must everyone stop liking cilantro just because you do?  How about when you go to a restaurant just ask them to leave out cilantro from your dish, or ask first if there is any cilantro in whatever you are interested in ordering.  I'm not particularly fond of cilantro myself, but hardly do I think there needs to be a thread started about it and resurrected about that.  If you're eating cilantro then maybe YOU are not doing a good job of ordering food in the first place.

And I love oil, I live for oil, I could eat it by the spoonful and I could drizzle it on everything if I could.  It glistens, it pools, it's bright green and glorious!

So seriously, everyone has likes and dislikes.  But expecting everyone to do what you like is just weird.

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 25 Mar 13 3:19pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

hmm   I do love fresh coriander leaves.  I thought they tasted soapy the first couple of times I tried them.  I think what changed my mind was having them in Asian dishes instead of just in Mexican food.  It sort of adjusted my tastebuds to what they are all about.  Now, they taste a little lemony to me, fresh, bright.

I can empathize with your issue because I have a couple of food dislikes for very common ingredients like mayo and ketchup.  It's kind of embarrassing to have to ask for no mayo every time and sometimes people forget or they assume it is not a strong dislike, but me being fussy about calories or something.

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 25 Mar 13 6:12pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Well I love coriander and I love olive oil even more. There's hardly anything that I cook without olive oil.
Maybe its a mediterranean thing but I dont know anyone here who doesnt like coriander. I do agree its a strong herb but I love it! In fact, I cant think of a herb that I dislike...
As to your request, I think any good chef will ignore it, Im sorry to say...
It'll be just better if you follow Koukouvagia's advice and make sure that when you order something you ask them not to add coriander.
You say you "speak for a great majority of people", but in "my world" you'd be actually speaking for a tiny minority of people, so as in many other foods, it's all a matter of like and dislike. I respect your taste, of course but creating some kind of movement to erase coriander from the face of the Earth is a bit excessive, dont you think?  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 25 Mar 13 8:50pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

nope not excessive at all..  I say burn it all ..  wink  thumbsup  whistle

now I can't get on board with the oil ban though..   recent studies are continuing to show just how benificial olive oil is.. 

a Mediterranean diet high in olive oil. more than  4 tablespoons a day showed

"Compared with those eating the low-fat diet, the extra-virgin-olive-oil group showed a 30% lower risk of having a heart attack, stroke or dying of heart disease after five years, while those consuming the Mediterranean diet with more nuts showed a 28% lower risk of these outcomes."

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#15 Mon 25 Mar 13 9:42pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

big_smile  yikes

Does that mean nuts have an added benefit of another 28% or that consuming nuts reduces the benefits by 2%?

That is good to know.  I assume Med diet is not necessarily the wonderful cheeses, prosciutto's and other such goodies!  I am not feeling so bad about loving things marinated in olive oil - Manchego, smoked salmon and tuna (first two we had in Mallorca and mainland Spain, the tuna is great from Spain and Italy both).  I know, I know, this isn't what they're talking about.  Crema Catalan?  Not really health food, but sure made me feel good every time I ate it.

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 26 Mar 13 12:05am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

there were a few diets compared against each other..  one was a low fat diet, one was a med diet high in extra virgin olive oil, one that focused on a higher intake of nuts. the extra virgin olive oil one  showed the highest benifit.

here is an article explaining the study , number of participants, their risk factors , timeline of study etc.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/780803

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#17 Tue 26 Mar 13 2:30pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

sergio1972 wrote:

Maybe its a mediterranean thing but I dont know anyone here who doesnt like coriander.

You say you "speak for a great majority of people", but in "my world" you'd be actually speaking for a tiny minority of people... so creating some kind of movement to erase coriander from the face of the Earth is a bit excessive, dont you think?  thumbsup

It's not a mediterranean thing that's for sure.  Cilantro is not used in Greek dishes and i'm willing to bet not in Italian either.  Spanish dishes, I'm not sure.  There is no question that people who hate cilantro really really really hate cilantro.  But of course I am not looking to deprive anyone of something that the like.

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 26 Mar 13 2:40pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

I can think of several portuguese dishes that use coriander, fish stews and some starters for example. Actually there's a region in the south of Portugal, called Alentejo where they even use coriander in soup and salads!

It seems that its origin is from the south of Europe, north Africa and middle East so its pretty mediterranean.

Last edited by sergio1972 (Tue 26 Mar 13 2:41pm)

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 26 Mar 13 3:34pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I use it as a salad leaf (those who hate coriander/cilantro will be horrified, sorry, major over-kill for them, but each to their own).

Also, as Yorkie has said, coriander/cilantro is indispensable in S/E Asian cooking. I use it in Indian as well. Know it's used in Mexican but, apart from guacamole, I don't cook Mexican (so far).

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#20 Tue 26 Mar 13 11:52pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Wiki says it was grown in Greece since the 2nd millennium B.C.

Likes (0)