forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 25 Mar 13 6:37pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Do you do your main supermarket shopping online or in the store ?

I have to admit that most of my supermarket shopping these days is done online and delivered direct to my door.
With the supermarket shopping also gets delivered an organic fruit and vegetable box .

I find this system really very helpful for me and I also find that I dont forget items like I do if I go direct to the suermarket.

But I never buy meat , cheese( apart from cheddar ) or eggs from the online supermarket delivery. I like to see and buy the meat that I buy for my family and buy this localy , I buy fresh free range eggs as I need them from the local 'heath shop' as they have a reliable supplier who they know treats the hens well.
I also like tsee the cheese that I buy and buy that localy also.

We make all our own bread and baked products and so do not buy these either from the online shop.

The other problem about buying meat from the online shop is that it tends to get packed in with other items and this is a real issue to me.

Dispite doing much of the shopping online, I will also go into local shops and deli's as I need things.

What are your thoughts on online supermarket shopping , is it something that you do or do you prefer to do all your supermarket shopping yourself in a shop.

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 25 Mar 13 6:49pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Do you do your main supermarket shopping online or in the store ?

I do the majority of my supermarket shopping in-store, but sometimes when I've got heavy or bulky items (washing powder, loo paper, dog food, etc) I'll get them delivered as it's easier than carrying them myself.  I tend to buy my meat directly from the farmer these days, and I'm not that keen on supermarket fish.  We don't have a good green-grocer here, so I do buy a lot of vegetables in the supermarket.  I try very hard not to buy anything with "ingredients" in due to food allergies, and like to check everything when I'm buying.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 25 Mar 13 7:11pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I started ordering groceries to be delivered to get me through this injury recovery time.    The benefits:
-excellent and more selection of organic products than any one supermarket offers
-higher quality fresh produce
-everything is much cleaner than the stuff that sits on supermarket shelves
-the software is great to use and I can customize how I use it
-they put things I normally buy on sale as an enticement which is great - they have both general specials and what they call 'my specials' geared to what each customer normally buys
-the traffic in our area is so terrible and drivers become irritable, so many times we find ourselves looking for ways around doing a lot of driving or we wait even to drive a mile or two until traffic is lightest.  I know people who shop late at night for this reason, that is how bad it is.

I do miss going to some of the stores I normally use, but not the supermarket because it is an unpleasant experience to be among the crowds of people coughing and sneezing and touching everything and the carts are always kind of dirty and I hate the wavering florescent lights.  Our stores are generally very clean and well lit though.  I don't mean to give the wrong impression.  And, they offer hand wipes at the doors which I also use to wipe down the cart handle, etc.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 25 Mar 13 11:54pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I looked into buying online because my bad health can make supermarket shopping difficult, especially standing in queues and parking problems. That was several years ago and it didn't work for me because the process was so clunky, it was hard to find my favourite items. Then I realised how little I do buy in the supermarket: all the greengroceries come from the market shop. Flours, cereals, beans, nuts and dried fruit (when I bought dried fruit) came from the middle eastern shop. Even tinned tomatoes are better and cheaper there. There are great Asian groceries (with no home delivery I know of) and delis.

The online shopping is probably better now, but it works for me to pop in there, and is especially nice when my daughter comes with me, which is mostly. I lean on the trolley! and the do it yourself checkouts have stopped the queues! smile

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 26 Mar 13 1:20am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

It's (online) clunky here, Joy. I tried online several years ago and hated that they'd substitute items if the item(s) I'd selected weren't available. I believe that there's now an option to stop them doing that.

Also hated the waiting around for the delivery. The two hour delivery "window" is still a nuisance for me. Also, like others have said here, I buy very little from the supermarkets and prefer to buy either from farmer's markets, Asian, Indian, Middle Eastern shops, the local green grocer, butcher, fish monger etc.

I prefer to see and to chose what I'm buying before handing over the money. It's also more convenient for me.

Last edited by Maree (Tue 26 Mar 13 11:02am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#6 Tue 26 Mar 13 10:38am

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

I never do on line shopping, I prefer to chose what I buy. Most people I know always complain about the quality of the fruit and veggies they get and also all the substitutes.

On line shopping definitely not for me.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 26 Mar 13 1:30pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

I've heard people in other areas of the U.S. complain about online services.  We're lucky to have a very good one in this area.

Forgot to mention that I also buy certain specialty items online these days - duck and duck products, high quality gluten-free flour.  These are delivered by companies like UPS.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 26 Mar 13 1:36pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

As I can't get out, I'm obliged to do on-line shopping for anything and everything.  Where would I be without on-line groceries?  Up the creek!  Tesco look after me very well and with the facility of 'Note to Picker', I can get pretty well what I want.  I don't have to have substitutes, as I can inform them on the order as such.  On the whole I do very well indeed and I've really got to know their foibles now.  I also take an organic veg box (or whatever I need), delivered to the door.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 26 Mar 13 1:44pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Thistledo wrote:

I also take an organic veg box (or whatever I need), delivered to the door.

I've been thinking about that but have not done anything about it because I prefer to choose what I bring into my home and the inconvenience of waiting around/being around for deliveries- my apartment block is "Fort Knox-like" ... The farmer's markets work well for me for the moment smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#10 Tue 26 Mar 13 2:20pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Sorry to post so much.  I just wanted to say that this thread has me investigating organic vegetable box deliveries.  What's on offer is a lot better than our options in the past.  You can now specify what you want out of their choices, rather than being given a lot of something you don't need, you can get a discount by going to a group drop-off place, etc. and they also give a rundown of what they intend to grow which includes a lot of varieties that are hard to find in the shops on a regular basis.  I may try it since they allow for as little as delivery for one and it is priced per person.  Also, the company I was perusing will add on extras sometimes at no cost if they have a lot to unload or sometimes at a very low cost and they offer specialty things like ghost peppers.

Likes (0)