Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 23 Mar 13 8:06am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

Re: Childhod food memories

1980ies. simple food. most from our own garden, more so than today. tiny basement shops for veggies. milk in glass bottles. no meat at all.... (not available for estonians).
only in some rare miraculous cases. I guess I did not eat a lot of meat from the beginning so giving up alltogether in 1995 wasnt very hard. things also not available most of the time: cocoa, sugar, cheese, butter, spices, coffee, cream, oatmeal. never even saw before 1989: bananas, oranges, mandarins, lemons, pineapple, liquorice, chewing gum. appeared in the 1990ies: soft ice, potato chips, soft drinks. never tried them ever. we had chicken so we got eggs, otherwise eggs were all taken away as well in the 1980ies. if you needed to make cake then having a baker as a friend worked cause you got the substitute egg powder. there were some things you could buy once a month about 200 g  per person like sausage or fish.
forest and garden fed us, cause the shops were empty. so I wasnt picky about food in my childhood and I was just grateful to have anything to eat.
childhood favorites- green onion salad with sour cream. blueberries with milk and honey. white bread soup with cheese and nutmeg. whipped rye pudding with apples or cranberries. fish cakes.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 23 Mar 13 10:28am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I, too had a mother who didn't know how to, and didn't cook. Dad did.

Childhood memories from their home: porridge like glue and cold Weetbix hmm. Salad was lettuce, tomato and cucumber (which I picked out). Undressed. Had never eaten a dressed salad until I left home. Mum refused to eat dressed salad when staying at my home.

Oh well ...

Better childhood food memories: staying at my mother's mother's and watching/"helping" Nan cook.

Last edited by Maree (Sun 24 Mar 13 10:30am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#13 Sat 23 Mar 13 11:10pm

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

A gr8 thread, Mummza!  thumbsup

My late Dad was the household cook with my late Mum assisting! smile

We always without fail had a roast (lamb, beef or pork) dinner every saturday nite & my parents often invited guests to share our delicious dinner with! Ice cream, fruit & jelly/or trifle would follow or in the winter months mum & dad would make steamed lemon or golden syrup puddings or apple (or rhubarb out of dads garden!) crumbles etc! yummy

Dad made beautiful vege & ham hock soups + casseroles in the winter months too & tripe with onion white sauce + liver & bacon + steak & kidney stews/pies were on the menu also - though to this day I've never bought; tripe, liver or kidneys or leeks or brussel sprouts either to cook with or eat - back when growing-up there was never a *thought* to dislike a food - it was DINNER exclaim

Mummza, my Dad had a gr8 garden also, as, did my late grandad...I loved as a child to go to my Nana & Grandad's place & pick & eat one or two fresh strawberries out of their small strawberry patch!...Grandad also grew yellow acid-free tomatoes!

Nana even named our cat's kitten ~ "Tea Leaves", when she tipped tea leaves out the window onto their new kitten! Oh no & awww!

Thanks for the 'walk down' yours (& everyones, thanks!) & my childhood food memory-lane, Mummza!  big_smile

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Sat 23 Mar 13 11:14pm)

Merry Christmas to you ALL! :-)
    Likes (0)

#14 Sun 24 Mar 13 6:20am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
From Tallinn, Estonia

best memories: helping granny cook for her birthday and decorate cakes
I dont like sweets but I love baking and mixing sorcery LOL
making bread rolls, kneading in saffron (my granny used to have some!!! we made breads for 10 years with it!) rolling out the dough, spreading goose fat (no butter available) and beetroot sugar and cinnamon and raisins on it. and then rolling it up and cutting the rolls and turning them. and I loved the smell of baking too, but I never ate white bread rolls.

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 24 Mar 13 10:08am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

RedfoxEstonia wrote:

best memories: helping granny cook for her birthday and decorate cakesbut I love baking and mixing sorcery LOL

it's called chemistry

you should consider a career in it

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 24 Mar 13 2:17pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

A slightly quirky memory is of my father very conscientiously mixing up salmon cakes and crushing the bone in to the mix, explaining to us kids that he liked to include it to give us non-milk drinking kids some calcium.  I still make those salmon cakes and then, I took it a step further and used one of Jamie's recipes that calls for three types of fresh fish, rather than just canned salmon.  Love both ways.

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 27 Mar 13 1:18am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

It is interesting reading all these memories. Fascinating to hear about Estonia Redfox!

I remember that occasionally we would get a carton of eggs from my country aunt who kept chooks. When the hens were laying like crazy she could pack up dozens and send them down by train. Despite all her care there were times when none survived the trip (not sure the parcel handlers cared much for 'fragile - handle with care' signs). It was always exciting though and when we did have some we would eat those beautiful golden yolked eggs like crazy! Scrambled eggs, pancakes, egg and bacon pie (we hadn't heard of quiche yet circa 1970 Melbourne!).

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 27 Mar 13 6:49am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
From Tallinn, Estonia

I remember I went to a grandauntsĀ“ daughters wedding once, had to carry the roses and be a flower child, such a **** pain but they never considered how a child feels. but they made this huge wedding cake from country eggs and it was so yellow the best freind of the bride, a city girl through and through, thought it was coloring and refused to eat it, cause at that time all sorts of harmful stuff went into food coloring. she refused to believe they were just country eggs. it was around 1989.

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 27 Mar 13 1:41pm

rhianna899

Forum champ
Member since Mon 02 Feb 09

First post on the forums in a long time, hello everyone!  big_smile

I love reading everyone's memories, good and bad

The one that sticks in my mind most is from when I used to spend weekends at my grandparents. My Grandad would meet his friend that was a fisherman at the pub on Friday nights and he would always give him a packet of cooked cockles or prawns wrapped in newspaper for me, when he got back we'd sit on the sofa and eat them straight out of the newspaper, yum!

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 27 Mar 13 3:31pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Hi Rhianna, I have also been away for a while ( popped back when I could ).  My dad  loved cockles  puke , but then he liked pork dripping on bread as well  shocked .

My Mum was a great cook, her baking was well known, I always had many friends on a Friday ( baking day ), we would all walk home from school together and they would all push for an invite in to play !!

Her curry left a lot though - she thought curry was mince cooked as for a shepherds pie with curry powder added and some peas and perhaps some raisins !!

I use to love her custard though - she would often make a huge jug of it ( birds of cause ), it would be quite thick, and she would dollop this into a dish with either banana or perhaps a splash of Ribina or spoon of jam  yummy

Likes (0)