#21 Wed 27 Mar 13 10:39am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: oil and coriander

Maree wrote:

The White Rabbit wrote:

I hate to admit it but i'm coming around to the nasty soap tasting leaf. Even going to grow it. At present I am able to tolerate it cooked into foods.

I find that it grows best in the cooler and less humid weather, Rabbit. Otherwise it bolts to seed. It's been terribly humid the past week. I'd wait until the humidity drops.

Suggest you grow from seed and stagger the sowing every three or so weeks (ie don't use all your seed at once).

Seed seems to grow (and last) better from seed than from planting out seedlings from the nursery/DIY mega-barn.

Ta

our parsley is barely grown when it bolts

Likes (0)

#22 Wed 27 Mar 13 1:05pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

MsPablo wrote:

Wiki says it was grown in Greece since the 2nd millennium B.C.

Grown yes.  Used in food?  Never heard of it.

Likes (0)

#23 Wed 27 Mar 13 1:56pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

They mention the seeds and leaves being used in cooking - a long time ago.  One of the oldest forms of the word is from the Mycenaeans.  Who knew?  It's interesting though that you don't see much of it in Greek cooking today, but are the seeds used in Greek dishes nowadays?

It was brought to our shores in 1670 according to Wiki and was one of the first herbs cultivated by colonists.

Last edited by MsPablo (Wed 27 Mar 13 3:39pm)

Likes (0)

#24 Wed 27 Mar 13 11:00pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Oh yes, coriander seeds are used here and there.  But not the leaves, at least I haven't across any in any of my travels.

Likes (0)

#25 Wed 27 Mar 13 11:07pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

koukouvagia wrote:

Oh yes, coriander seeds are used here and there.  But not the leaves, at least I haven't across any in any of my travels.

isnt cilantro another name for corriander ?
I usr both the dried seeds and the fresh green leaves, it took me a while to get used to it but nw I eat it really happily and use it quite a lot in cooking or salads.

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 27 Mar 13 11:42pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

mummza wrote:

koukouvagia wrote:

Yes, coriander and cilantro are the same. Cilantro seems to be the term used in North America smile.

I use both seeds (mainly in Indian cooking) and the leaves. It's my favourite herb.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#27 Thu 28 Mar 13 12:33am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

mummza wrote:

koukouvagia wrote:

I usr both the dried seeds and the fresh green leaves, it took me a while to get used to it but nw I eat it really happily and use it quite a lot in cooking or salads.

In the U.S. we all recognize the fresh leaves as 'cilantro' because of the Mexican influence and we all also recognize the term coriander.

Likes (0)

#28 Thu 28 Mar 13 12:30pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

MsPablo wrote:

mummza wrote:

koukouvagia wrote:

In the U.S. we all recognize the fresh leaves as 'cilantro' because of the Mexican influence and we all also recognize the term coriander.

The term "cilantro" indicates the green herb.  The term "coriander" indicates the seed.

Likes (0)

#29 Thu 28 Mar 13 5:14pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

koukouvagia wrote:

MsPablo wrote:

mummza wrote:

The term "cilantro" indicates the green herb.  The term "coriander" indicates the seed.

That's interesting , over here the green leaves are called corriander or fresh corriander and the seeds are also corriander ! We don't use the term cilantro .

Likes (0)

#30 Thu 28 Mar 13 6:40pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

viva la differance...

Likes (0)