forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 19 Mar 11 12:54pm

libsmum

Member since Fri 18 Feb 11

Harveys sauce

I bought a bottle of Harveys sauce because i'm a sucker for an interesting bottle/jar but it's left me scratching my head as to what to do with it... Is it only for marinading ?  I've tried google-ing it but it only comes up with recipes to make it !
help

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 25 Mar 11 4:21pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Harveys sauce

Mrs Beetons Mock Turtle seems to call for a little Harvey's sauce:

173. INGREDIENTS.—A knuckle of veal weighing 5 or 6 lbs., 2 cow-heels, 2 large onions stuck with cloves, 1 bunch of sweet herbs, 3 blades of mace, salt to taste, 12 peppercorns, 1 glass of sherry, 24 force-meat balls, a little lemon-juice, 4 quarts of water. Mode.—Put all the ingredients, except the force-meat balls and lemon-juice, in an earthen jar, and stew for 6 hours. Do not open it till cold. When wanted for use, skim off all the fat, and strain carefully; place it on the fire, cut up the meat into inch-and-a-half squares, put it, with the force-meat balls and lemon-juice, into the soup, and serve. It can be flavoured with a tablespoonful of anchovy, or Harvey's sauce. Time.—6 hours. Average cost,1s. 4d. per quart. Seasonable in winter. Sufficient for 10 persons.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 03 Apr 13 2:44am

Doran

Member since Fri 29 Mar 13

In answer to the query re Harveys Sauce. It is used in Constance Spry cookbook for Devil Sauce. page 727.
I did try to obtain a bottle from Fortnums who used to sell it but unfortunately no more.. If you need the recipe let me know

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 03 Apr 13 8:35am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I've never heard of it! What's it like?

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 03 Apr 13 11:39am

Earthmum

Forum champ