Re: help 6 foods

lamb,
potato,
parsnip,
butternut squash,
peach and pear.
special allergy milk
olive oil.

goodness that is so restrictive for the poor little sweatheart.

MsP has mentioned potato rosti , they are easy to make , when I was in Geneva I was told how to make these , I was told that you dont squeeze the fluid from the raw grated potato like you so often see tv chefs doing , you just grate the potato with a corse grater and mix it with a little melted pork fat ( you need not do this , but what you could use is a bit of the lamb fat that has been redered of lamb as it cooks) . The reason that you dont squeeze the fluid out of the grated potato is that you need the starch in it to hold the rosti together as it cooks.
To cook the rosti , you simply scatter the raw grated potato into a frying pan , so that it coats the base of the pan well and is in a decent but not too thick layer.
you cook the rosti over a moderate heat , but it is important not to fiddle about with it , it will cook and as it does the starch will stick it together,
As you see the edges colour brown , slide the rosti out onto a plate or board and flip it back into the frying pan so  that it turns over and cook the other side.
it takes a bit of time to cook , but its worth it .

In Geneva , they had these huge plate sized potato rosti that were topped with differnt things that were heaped into the center of the rosti.

You could ... chop the butternut squash and parsnip into tiny cubes and pan fry them together to  cook them , or cook them seperatly just topping with one type of the veg .
or little thin bite sized strips of lamb.
or a mix of all .

lamb meat balls or lamb burgers , similar to kebabs , I know but just a bit different.

can you use any flour at all ?
maybe a gram flour which is made from chick peas  ( but far gentler than eating chickpeas )... if you can then it would mean that things colud be battered using a simple batter mix of gram flour and water.
Gram flour contains a good amount of carbohydrate but no gluten , as it fries it puffs up quickly and would make things like making fritters and pokora's possible opening a whole new aspect to her diet.
if you fry with the oil at a decent heat , the gram flour puffs up wuuickly and absorbs very little oil.
I use it quite a lot.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 05 Apr 13 9:26pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Pommes Anna - love this dish.

I like mash made with 70% potato, 30% parsnip.

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 06 Apr 13 11:20am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

We like mash that has half potato and half parsnip
!

Parsnips that are boiled till they are almost cooked then sauté to finish them are very nice.

Soups are also good , children like a mug of soup . I used to do a primary school sandwich duty and found that a lot of he children used to bring flasks of soup for lunch in the colder weather.
With lamb , you could make like a Welsh Cawl , that is a lamb soup that has potato in it as well , it often has other vegetables also so instead of the traditional you could add slices of parsnip and squash .

Last edited by mummza (Sat 06 Apr 13 11:24am)

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 30 Apr 13 7:07pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

jessicaella , have any of the suggestions been OK ?

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 30 Apr 13 9:19pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

poor thing! I would definately recommend soups cause all the dry food cant be good either. if she would get used to drinking a soup from a soup thermos, that would be really good to take along. if it is more like a habit, not a painful restriction, then it could be easier for her.
parsnip makes a great soup or pureé. so does butternut squash. slightly roasted and pureed... different variations... if the diet is so restricted, then a little fluid or runny is better than dry. can make a shake from pears... less frying, more fluid.
it would be great if she could eat peas or lentils some day. would make the soup tastier.

dried pears are delicious as a snack. maybe you can also dry squash with some salt?

Likes (0)