forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 11 Apr 13 11:34pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

How many days a week do you eat vegetarian meals ?

As you all know I am a vegetarian , but , I have a family that love eating meat .
Since the family have all left home and my darlig and I are left on our own I have noticed that my darling is more accepting of vegetarian meals and he has gradually accepted eating meat free meals 4 or 5 times a week.
This is a great deal easier for me as I then only cook one type of meal .

However when any of the family are home I will cook mostly meat meals with a vegetarian option as well.
Even when the family are home there is at least one day a week when I dont cook any meat .

the food team have recently written a post on Meat Free Monday
http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-blo … tion-blog/

Meat Free Monday started over here in the UK some years ago spearheaded by Sir Paul McCartney and some other celebraties who were suggesting that this would be good for the eviroment
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 … ree-monday . however , its not something that gets talked about much.

I have often wondered about the wisdom of it being a Monday that is the meat free day because many hamilies here in the UK have a Sunday Roast and traditionally Monday woud be the day that the left over meat was eaten either cold or made into a pie.
To me a day later in the week would have been more sensible for this reason !

As a child I remember that all Fridays and also lent were meat free , this was due to Religious reasons , it was sometime in the 1980's that this was abolished but some families retained the tradition and even now in some establishments Fish is served on a Friday instead of meat.

I have man friends that naver eat a vegatarian meal and would never consider having a meat free day .... but what about you.... Do you have any regular meat free days during the week ?

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 12 Apr 13 12:15am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Re: How many days a week do you eat vegetarian meals ?

--

Hi Mummza.

My OH would never voluntarily eat meat free, in fact a lot of times the comment regarding dinner is that it was very nice but would have been better with more meat in it.  roll

I tend to up my veg intake by rarely eating any meat with my lunch, I make big batches of veggie stuff on weekends to freeze in portions for work lunches... I have a lot of spinach lasagna, dahl, veggie curry, etc.

Sometimes I don't have the meat part of our meals if I feel like I'm under vegged. The best part of a roast is the pumpkin for me anyway  wink

Would love to do meat free days but even the one night a week I insist we eat fish instead causes a bit of debate here

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 12 Apr 13 3:14am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Most of us need to eat more veg. and less meat. Quality meat and less of it, Quality Fish also. I try and eat vegetarian two days a week, sometimes its three, fish two days a week (we have a superb fishmonger). In Bavaria veg. days were nearer 5 days a week, Good meat was expensive. Vegetables in Bavaria are fantastic, more local, more seasonal, great quality. If I lived in London, who knows? You have The Ginger Pig; you also have great Asian shops. Quality usually denotes what I buy. Quality usually (not always) has good ethics with it. Monday, the fishmongers are shut (a good sign). If there are leftovers from Sunday, so specific day meat free is not going to happen. If I visit a food fair on Sunday, that may say what’s for dinner on Monday.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 12 Apr 13 11:15am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

These days, seven days. That sometimes changes if I have guests or my "children" are visiting. Even then, it's usually seafood/fish or (rarely) chicken. They have gone off meat, too.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#5 Fri 12 Apr 13 11:41am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Frizz, my darling did not eat vegetables or fruit hen I first met him , with me being a vegetarian he had to learn fairly fast to enjoy vegetables but it was years before I could get him to eat an apple ( apart from in Apple Pie or Apple Crumble ).
Now he will happily eat any vegetarian meal but does not like Okra or Fennel

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 12 Apr 13 12:25pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

The majority of meals I cook are vegetarian, but this is mainly due to the cost of quality meat and fish. I was vegetarian for eight or so years but it led to some health complications as I was still growing throughout those years, and starting to eat meat again was a necessity. I think I might cut it out again someday, but for now at least one really decent meat or fish meal a week is a nice treat.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 12 Apr 13 12:58pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I don't keep track but I'd say often we eat meatless meals.  At first it was difficult because hubby grew up in a "meat is expensive, eat that first" type of home where as I grew up in a home where meat was secondary.  Hubby also had a few bad habits like left the veggies and salad off his plate and claimed he would eat it after he finished his meat and potatoes.  More often than not he'd be "too full" after he finished the meat and potatoes and would only taste the veggies and often not even touch the salad.  I let that go on for a while but now that we have a kid I'm not keen on letting it continue.  Veggies have priority, salad is a main component, not an afterthought.  I think it's smart to eat the salad first, that way you don't have too much room for the meat and taters.  It's a work in progress but I'm slowly setting in the tone that in our home veggies are important.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 12 Apr 13 1:24pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

koukouvagia wrote:

I think it's smart to eat the salad first, that way you don't have too much room for the meat and taters.  It's a work in progress but I'm slowly setting in the tone that in our home veggies are important.

Even before I went off meat (it makes me sluggish in all ways), I'd serve a salad at the weekend for the family prior to "mains".

The "salade compose" (have I spelled that correctly? Apologies to Kye and others whose French is much better than mine), where salad is the integral part of the meal and the protein is an added extra (in the salad) has always been part of my repertoire for family or for work.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#9 Fri 12 Apr 13 3:01pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Merlin wrote:

The majority of meals I cook are vegetarian, but this is mainly due to the cost of quality meat and fish. I was vegetarian for eight or so years but it led to some health complications as I was still growing throughout those years, and starting to eat meat again was a necessity. I think I might cut it out again someday, but for now at least one really decent meat or fish meal a week is a nice treat.

Ive thought about this long and hard over a long period of time and I dont think that I save any money with being vegetarian , yes meat is expexsive but not a huge amount is eaten at one time .
But Fish I find is very expensive.

I think that as we eat a lot of vegetarian meals my darling apreciates the meals with meat more .

Your so right about health issues Marlin , as a vegetaria its more awkward to get the required amount of protien and a vitamin B12 deficiency can also be an issue.

Last edited by mummza (Fri 12 Apr 13 3:03pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 12 Apr 13 9:02pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

most days, cause cabbage is cheap.

Likes (0)