forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 12 Apr 13 3:16pm

simonwalters219

Member since Fri 12 Apr 13

Bread ripping

Hi all.

Very new to baking so please be gentle.  Every time I bake a loaf It rips or tears above the loaf tin once placed in the oven. Can somebody please explain where I'm going wrong. I'm using 20% wholemeal flour and 80% strong white bread flour.. 500 grams total, 7 grams dry yeast, teaspoon sugar, dash of olive oil and 325 ml water. I put in the oven 200 degrees centigrade. I haven't tried whacking the oven up full blast and then turning it down when I put the bread in so could heat be a problem ? I've also seen about placing a tray of water at the bottom of the oven in order to create steam, but I'm afraid to try this after reading the dangers of damaging the oven. Any help would be most appreciated.

I've included an external picture to clarify

You will need to copy this in you're browser window sorry site wouldn't let me add link because I've only just joined

docs.google.com/file/d/0B9yXwYThrD-6bWlhLUVQZ3k0blE/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 12 Apr 13 3:31pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Bread ripping

That is your bread rising so fast that it stretches. Because it makes a weak section that can make it more difficult to slice, most people cut the top of the loaf so that it will stretch out there instead. Are those cuts I see on the top of your loaf? Try making them deeper, a centimetre or more, and cut right from one side to the other, so the bread will stretch up through them instead.

That's my take on it. I'm looking forward to what others say. smile

PS Here is your link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9yXwYT … edit?pli=1

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Fri 12 Apr 13 3:33pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 12 Apr 13 3:34pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Keep getting "Google drive reports an error" but the pic appears for about a second before it disappears...

I'm guessing that you are not allowing time for a second prove here..

steps should be...

Mix dough, Knead, prove. (Say 40 minutes) knock back, Knead again, into bread tin, prove again until doubled in size...then into the oven..

HTH

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 12 Apr 13 3:39pm

simonwalters219

Thanks for the reply. Yes they are cuts on top of my loaf and thanks for the link repost  I will try what you have suggested on my next loaf. Only me on my own here so won't be for a couple of days but will let you know  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 12 Apr 13 3:42pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

oh....and make sure your oven is fully up to temperature before adding the loaf.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 12 Apr 13 3:43pm

simonwalters219

Thanks wine~o but have been proofing for a second time. JoyYamDaisy has placed a link above.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 12 Apr 13 3:49pm

simonwalters219

Will try whacking the oven temp up as well

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 12 Apr 13 6:22pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum simonwalters219 smile

It could be that once you have shaped the loaf and then allowing it to rise before it is cooked that it is i too warm a place and just simply needs to be in a cooler area so that the dough rises slower.

Or it could be that you just need a larger loaf tin to bake the bread in.

As for a tray of water in the oven , I am told that it helps , but to be honest I have never done this at all.

Most important , did the loaf of bread that you baked taste good ?

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 12 Apr 13 6:57pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

This is an amazing bread baking forum, if you want even more advice . . . makes me wish I was still eating wheat.
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

Looks like you made a pretty tasty loaf.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 12 Apr 13 7:12pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

thats a good forum MsP I will have to take some tomme to read some of it . Thanks for putting up the link thumbsup

Likes (0)