forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 04 Sep 09 7:16pm

Redhotchick

Member since Thu 03 Sep 09

Re: Gluten wheat allergy christmas cookie humbug.....

Hiya everyone, i just stumbled across Jamies site yesterday and whilst trying to find my way around, ive just stumbled upon this thread purely by accident!  To say i am blown away is an understatement - i am 38 years old, have been a coeliac all my life, and this is the first time ive actually happened across other coeliacs.  I haven't read all the posts yet, but can't wait till i have more time so i can.  Just like to say one thing though, everyone here should go to www.Juvela.co.uk and sign up for the free monthly newsletter as it is full of brilliant gluten free recipes and coming up to Christmas the cakes and biscuits are awesome.  Their website is brimming with very useful information for people who are newly diagnosed also.  As i say, ive been a coeliac for 38 yrs so if anyone needs any info or advice i'd be glad to help :-) thumbsup  big_smile

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 26 Apr 10 2:33pm

pressgirl40

Member since Mon 26 Apr 10

Last week Jamie decried bagged lunches. What would he suggest I pack for my child who is celiac and dairy intollerant? Right now I'm packing one or two fresh fruits, peanut butter for fruit dipping and a rice cracker for grain. My boy is also an Aspie and while we're slowly expanding his pallette it's difficult to overcome sensory aversions to many veggies - dipping sauces are out. He gags on them.

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 26 Apr 10 4:09pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

For my daughter, who is gluten intolerant (and my husband is lactose intolerant), I used to always make a packed lunch.  I would put flasks of home-made soup, home-made vegetable chips - take a vegetable peeler and slice your vegetables with it, lay on a baking tray, spray with a little oil, and bake in a hot oven - home-made potato chips, chickpea cake (http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/art … hp?id=2025), gluten free pancakes (http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/art … hp?id=3428) used as wraps and filled as though they are a sandwich or, as a treat, with a smear of g-f chocolate spread and fresh sliced strawberries or raspberries, tuna mayo with sliced red pepper to dip into it ..... Hope that gives you some inspiration to make packed lunches, and good luck crossed   big_smile

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 26 Apr 10 9:11pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

pressgirl40 wrote:

Last week Jamie decried bagged lunches. What would he suggest I pack for my child who is celiac and dairy intollerant? Right now I'm packing one or two fresh fruits, peanut butter for fruit dipping and a rice cracker for grain. My boy is also an Aspie and while we're slowly expanding his pallette it's difficult to overcome sensory aversions to many veggies - dipping sauces are out. He gags on them.

You might also get some ideas from our gluten free thread http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28081

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 15 Apr 13 12:47pm

useimagination

Occupation Archivist/Museum assistant
From Namibia,Africa
Member since Tue 12 Feb 13

I am also Gluten and Lactose Intolerant,I cant have Potatoes or Rice,sugar,and just minimal amounts of fruit due to the fact I also suffer from Syndrome X (Metabolic syndrom). I have found that one has to try and test out how ones body reacts to different food.

I got the advice to have a mixture of nuts. 5 different types of nuts maybe add some seeds and some non sugar coated or honey coated but organic dried berries. If you put a handful or so in a small container its a great on the run snack. Also what I like is Avocado and Tomatoe together,don't take an overripe Avocado must still be a bit hard -not too hard though. Just that you can dice it. Add a bit of salt and other spices you like and a bit of lemon juice. Absolutely divine, big_smile

thanks for all the great threads and suggestions,got good ideas. smile

Last edited by useimagination (Mon 15 Apr 13 12:48pm)

Likes (0)