Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

nessie18 wrote:

Hi Jamie, can you tell me which is the best pan to cook a roast in?  smile

welcome to the forum nessie18 smile

As you can see I am not Mr. Oliver .

I think that one of the most important things is the quality of the pan that you use, always try to get the best quality pans that you can afford as they will last better and usually cook more evenly.

I have an old fashioned lidded roasted dish that I use , it self bastes as it cooks and so the meat will still brown,
It was fairly expensive when I bought it and  is made from an enamel coated metal it has lasted me for around 25 years so far and has many more years life left in it.
it looks a bit like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Induction … oaster+pan

Likes (0)

#1002 Thu 25 Apr 13 6:31am

bethany.twine.5

Member since Thu 25 Apr 13

Does anyone know a very basic recipe for ravioli filling? Something tomato based and nothing too exotic or spicy and won't get funky if frozen?

Also, DebDiMaggio, my suggestion for getting your spuds crispy from roasting in an oven is this: dip your spud pieces in canola oil or other vegetable-based oil (they are healthier) or take a sauce-brush and brush said oil over the sides of spud-pieces in a thin layer, then place on/in a dish or pan that isn't very deep and do NOT cover. Moisture retention tends to keep foods from getting that crispy texture that many crave. This happens no matter the method you use. Or if you want to keep some of your moisture but still get the crispy, do what I suggested but with a slight variation, cover dish with foil (loosely) and take off foil for the last few minutes or so. Be sure to experiment with time-ratio of foil and no foil until you get the desired effect.  big_smile

Likes (0)

#1003 Thu 25 Apr 13 10:41am

Jamie's Food Team

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

devon.liscum wrote:

Hey Jamie! I was really interested in the types of chili you use. So what kind is it? think

As you know Jamie loves all chillies and they all have slight different flavours. Jamie likes to use what he can get his hands on - some of his faves are scotch bonnets, anaheim, apache, banana, caldero, cherry bomb and birds eye. He also loves using dried chillies to give smokyness and depth to sauces.

Likes (0)

#1004 Mon 29 Apr 13 7:59am

musa1991

Member since Mon 29 Apr 13

Jamie do you have a recipe easy for kids to do my son is a fan of yours and he has watched your shows and wanted to make one of your recipes for sometime but all the recipes are hard.

tell me if you have one as soon as possible  smile

Last edited by musa1991 (Mon 29 Apr 13 8:01am)

Likes (0)

#1005 Wed 01 May 13 9:37am

jacsilfver

Member since Fri 01 Oct 10

I bought your 15 and 30 min Meals books. Many recipes ask for anchovies.. We do not eat anchovies... What CAN i replacement them with or CAN i just leave it out without affecting taste?

Likes (0)

#1006 Wed 01 May 13 11:10am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

jacsilfver wrote:

I bought your 15 and 30 min Meals books. Many recipes ask for anchovies.. We do not eat anchovies... What CAN i replacement them with or CAN i just leave it out without affecting taste?

Welcome to the forum jacsilfver smile

In the recipes the anchovies are usually used as a seasoning . They add a saltiness to the dish.

I can't use anchovies either and so I just season with a little sae salt instead .

Likes (0)

#1007 Thu 02 May 13 6:15am

fg1880

Occupation invalid, can't work full time anymore... :-(
From Montreal
Member since Tue 30 Apr 13

Few year back, i saw one of your show on tv and you made a dish that looks like a bacon pie.
Can you give me the reciepy please?

There was bacon use a pastry from bottom to the top
with patatoes and cheese i believe!

I look thru your reciepy and didn't find it.

Thank you to answer me quick.

François smile

Likes (0)

#1008 Thu 02 May 13 11:47pm

Anydio

Occupation Hotel management student
From Mauritius
Member since Thu 02 May 13

Hi everybody smile

So, first off all im gonna quickly introduce myself. I am a 20yo girl born amd raised in Angola (Africa), left to Portugal about 4yrs ago and studying Hotel management in Spain. Ive been wandering about Europe and right now im in Mauritius for a 5 month internship at four seasons mauritius in KITCHEN big_smile
I find myself in love with this life more and more..

Now lets get to business... I would like everybodys opinion on this...my chef set up a young chef competition for commis and he put me in just so i sweat a bit, haha!! The prize is featuring the winner dish on the menu of one of the restaurant, which is a huuuge deal. So, I decided to pull off a starter and the challenge is to use only local products from the list he gave us: beet, carrots, taro, ginger, spinach, tapioca, pipengay, sea urchin, red mullet and sweet potato.. We dont have to use them all in one dish but we must combine as much as we can.. Guys could u please help me with some ideas? I have thought of red mullet cooked in lemon juice with ginger extract and jullienne carrots and beetroot salad. I will be waiting for any tips.

Thank you,

Any  thumbsup  thumbsup

Last edited by Anydio (Thu 02 May 13 11:49pm)

Likes (0)

#1009 Fri 03 May 13 5:29am

ConnieB

Member since Sun 21 Apr 13

Hi Jamie! .... So, here is the thing: I really love cooking lasagna with a lot of differents ingredients and sauces, but i can't add two sauces at once that I adore: bolognese and bechamel, because every time that I try to put every sauce separatedly, all end mixted up... like a orange thing sad

Should I make a thicker bolognese and bechamel sauce?

Thanks J, for your time!, I hope see u at FRD!

Loves, Connie B.

Likes (0)

#1010 Fri 03 May 13 12:01pm

Jamie's Food Team

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

nessie18 wrote:

Hi Jamie, can you tell me which is the best pan to cook a roast in?  smile

It really depends on the size of the roast you are cooking but, it sounds obvious but always use a roasting tray and a good size to allow room for your meat and maybe a few veg to go around it to give it some flavour.

Likes (0)