forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 02 May 13 8:54am

Levissima

Member since Thu 02 May 13

Italy

Hi I am a new member and I live in Italy. I am always disappointed that when there is a programme about Italian food, my region, Abruzzo, never seems to get a mention. It's a real shame as the area is intensely beautiful, with both mountains and sea, two fabulous National parks and, most importantly a delicious local cuisine and some wonderful wines.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 02 May 13 1:47pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: Italy

our region deserves the same treatment mal comune mezzo gaudio dal Friuli, mandi
big_smile

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 02 May 13 1:48pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Can you share with us some dishes and culinary traditions from Abruzzo?

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 02 May 13 8:54pm

Levissima

One delicious winter warmer is scripelle soup.

Basically you make very light thin pancakes and fill them, place in a soup bowl and pour over hot chicken stock.

The ones I have had were filled with grated Parmesan and rolled. The Parmesan melts in the heat and becomes gooey. Yum!

Of course as with most things how good the soup is will depend on how good the chicken stock is.

This is a very simple dish to make, even if you make your own chicken stock, and on a cold winters day it will warm the cockles of your heart.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 03 May 13 10:56am

toricelli

Member since Fri 03 May 13

I have visited a lot of places in Abruzzo and found that they seem to mainly serve large pieces of roasted meats, steaks and things on a skewer. Have not seen lots of vegetables served there. Have you any veg dishes that are from this area specifically.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 03 May 13 10:00pm

Levissima

If you are talking restaurant food in the summer there is mostly fresh, locally grown salads and in winter again locally grown vegetables. One nice dish is bietola (chard), which is cooked with potato, then drained and squeezed to remove water and dressed with oil and salt and sometimes a little garlic.

The "things on skewers" is probably arrosticini, which is lamb or mutton on wooden skewers. The meat is cut small and they are cooked over a wood fired BBQ till the fat is rendered and the meat is tender. Sometimes the arrosticini are based with red wine, applied with a twig of rosemary. The end result is eaten with bread drizzled with fresh olive oil.

Of course many of the pasta dishes and gnocchi dishes are vegetable based like pasta primavera or gnocchi with asparagus but I'm not sue you could call these regional dishes.

Likes (0)