forum: Food & Drink

#1 Thu 09 May 13 12:40pm


Member since Tue 11 Sep 12

US measurements

I have a US recipe which asks me to use 237ml sliced or diced do I measure 237ml of potatoes? Millilitres, as far as I am concerned, is liquid and therefore measurable, but potatoes? What it should be giving me is a weight, I would have thought. It also asks for 118ml of cooked bacon and 59ml of please!

    Likes (0)

#2 Thu 09 May 13 1:39pm


Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: US measurements

I heard of this method being used in some places - a volume measure is used in ml, rather than ounces/cups.  I would find another recipe that uses metric weights if this is too awkward for you or you don't have a ml volume measure.  It seems very silly since weight measures are more accurate and most people find American cup measures difficult to convert . . . so the answer was to go to volume measures in metric?  Crazy!

    Likes (0)

#3 Thu 09 May 13 1:48pm


Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: US measurements

My first thought was to find a better recipe too..   if that isn't an option then   the quick  cup measurement concervsions are  237 ~ 1 cup 118 ~half cup  59 ~ quartercup.

  since the  ratio is 1 :1/2:1/4   you could just use any volume measurement instrument and follow that ratio.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#4 Fri 10 May 13 2:24am


Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: US measurements

I expect they mean to fill a beaker up to the 237ml mark with the sliced or diced potatoes.

(Then measure the bacon in it, then the melted butter!)

Crazy, but I think that must be the way they do it.

    Likes (0)