forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 21 May 13 7:13am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

wild garlic: do you use it? and what for?

so I went to Viljandi, where our garden is. Wild garlic has started to grow there, surprisingly, it usually only grows in the forest. there is so much that I brought back around 4kg! I put some in the freezer and I intend to make rye muffins with wild garlic later. I have used it in omelet, soups in place of onions; in pies and sauces.
do you use that extremely healthy and tender plant, and what different things would you make from it?

I am thinking, perhaps I can make veggie burgers or white bread with it. hmm what about wild garlic ice cream....

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 21 May 13 9:35am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: wild garlic: do you use it? and what for?

Wild garlic is lovely added to risotto , made into pesto , added at the last minute over potatoes , wilted and added as an extra to other dishes , but chop it a bit first if you want to as the centre stem is a bit fibreous  , it will wilt greatly .

I have never frozen the leaf as it is , it may discolour in the freezer , I'm not sure , but I have a feeling that it will . The wild garlic pesto freezes well in an ice tray , once frozen the cubes can pop out and be stored in a bag to save space and make it easy to use.

It grows in forests and woodlands here and I see it in the middle of the city around the wall of Cardiff Castle ! 
Some people have it growing in their gardens .
To pick 4kg of leaves must have taken quite a while , you must have a big garden at Vilkandi .
thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 21 May 13 8:03pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
From Tallinn, Estonia

the garden is not really that big, but has a lot of blackcurrant bushes and it has started to grow under all of them, I am told it like shade. I dont believe it will lose color, I froze some last year as well, bought from the market then.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 21 May 13 9:02pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

wild garlic is fairly hard to find here but  I am enjoying wild leek season.. I basically use it for most of the things you listed above for the wild garlic. I am hoping to get some more before the season is over and make a large batch of asparagus and ramp soup now that the local asparagus is out.  yummy  yummy

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#5 Tue 21 May 13 9:19pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
From Tallinn, Estonia

oh, I got about 8oo g of asparagus too. still fresh, gonna cook it tomorrow.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 22 May 13 10:35pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Oh good news that it doesn't loose it's colour when frozen , (I thought it would ) I must go and pick some next week and freeze it , thanks redfoxestonia

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 22 May 13 10:48pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
From Tallinn, Estonia

I also freeze green onions regularly, they also keep their color. but dear, did I shed tears cause those first onion stalks are so strong in flavor. but they are the best to freeze. the later crops are less strong.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 23 May 13 12:03am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We get wild leeks or ramps here too Ashen.  Are there some with larger bulbs - about 1" or so?  I like the larger-bulbed ones grilled indirectly over smoke (think we used apple wood or hickory) and served with Romesco sauce.  Not sure if that would work with wild garlic.

We tried wild garlic pesto in Europe and I really didn't care for it, but it could be that making your own would result in something much nicer than a bottled product.  I think pesto can suffer from being over-processed for canning purposes.

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 23 May 13 12:03am)

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 28 May 13 12:33pm

Nikisha

From Vienna, Austria
Member since Mon 20 Dec 04

We usually make pesto from wild garlic. It's also great as a filling for ravioli, just chop it up and mix it with ricotta and parmesan and add an egg, then fill the ravioli with it. It's also lovely if you chop it finely and add it to any salad.

Likes (0)