Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1041 Sun 26 May 13 8:45am

taliassteak

Member
Member since Mon 20 May 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Please give me idea to cook Moussaka Combo with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables  thumbsup

    Likes (0)

#1042 Sun 26 May 13 10:41am

sheilajay

Member
Member since Sun 26 May 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi there,
          I used my Jamie Oliver fire pit/ pizza oven for the first time yesterday. I followed instructions, heated the pizza stone for about 30 mins, the charcoal was white and I felt that it was really hot. The pizza did not cook properly and I was really disappointed. What am I doing wrong please.
                                 Thanks
                                 Sheila

    Likes (0)

#1043 Sun 26 May 13 8:32pm

spindrifter

Member
Member since Sun 26 May 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi Jamie, 
Where can I buy or which make are the liquidiser & food processor on page 14 of your book "15 minute meals" ?
Lovely smooth design machines.  I want them smile
Many thanks

    Likes (0)

#1044 Sun 26 May 13 10:43pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Ask me a cooking question

spindrifter wrote:

Hi Jamie, 
Where can I buy or which make are the liquidiser & food processor on page 14 of your book "15 minute meals

Hi spendrifter, My daughter has borrowed my copy of the book but if it's the same food processor as used on the TV show and in the DVDs (white with a bit of blue), we think it's a Phillips.


"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#1045 Tue 28 May 13 1:21am

chef op bestell

Member
Member since Mon 27 May 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hey jamie

whats youre favorite vegetables at the moment?
Can you post something on my facebook page
chef op bestelling

friendly greetings

Glenn van gerwen
Chef op bestelling
big_smile

    Likes (0)

#1046 Wed 29 May 13 6:42pm

Beckid01

Member
Member since Wed 29 May 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi Jamie,

Please can you help my son Marshall who is nearly 7 months old has cows milk protein allergy and food protein intolerance so I am finding it very difficult putting meals together, at present he is unable to eat any dairy, potatoes (and sweet potato), rice, chicken, pork,lamb,beef, pear, fish, eggs, parsnips.

We are still in process of trying foods but have a limited amount of things he can have which are mainly veg, pasta, wheat, soya, tomatoes, apple, melon, as you can imagine I am struggling making food to fill him and to change round as the pasta is always with tomato sauce and the veg I mix together. I put apple or jam in porridge or wheatabix or use his special baby formula milk as a base......could you help in making some new things that are filling and different and that I could freeze for another day.

Regards
Rebecca help

    Likes (0)

#1047 Thu 30 May 13 12:08pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Beckid01 wrote:

Hi Jamie,

Please can you help my son Marshall who is nearly 7 months old has cows milk protein allergy and food protein intolerance so I am finding it very difficult putting meals together, at present he is unable to eat any dairy, potatoes (and sweet potato), rice, chicken, pork,lamb,beef, pear, fish, eggs, parsnips.

We are still in process of trying foods but have a limited amount of things he can have which are mainly veg, pasta, wheat, soya, tomatoes, apple, melon, as you can imagine I am struggling making food to fill him and to change round as the pasta is always with tomato sauce and the veg I mix together. I put apple or jam in porridge or wheatabix or use his special baby formula milk as a base......could you help in making some new things that are filling and different and that I could freeze for another day.

Regards
Rebecca help

Welcome to the forum Beckido1  smile


7 months old ...He's young to have discovered so many intolerances , is he being treated at a hospital for this problem ?

Eggs allergy is quite a problem , how did he react to his vaccinations ?

My advice to you is to slow down trying to introduce different foods at the moment , at 7 months old your baby has an immature digestive tract and although its good to give different tastes and textures his body  seems to be struggling to cope .

I am sure I didn't give my children wetabix until after they were 1 year old , the recommendations then were to try to keep the babies fairly gluten free for the first year .

So what could you try that he might like and is soft enough for a 7 month baby .
My suggestion is pollenta , it's made from corn meal and can have savoury things added to it . It's quite gentle on the stomach and very versatile .
You can make it softer to eat warm or you cold make a firm pollenta that can be cooled and once set it can be cut into chips or fried in slices ( when he's older for the later 2 suggestions) also as he matures you can use polenta to crum the outside of things like chicken to make chicken nuggets.

Lentils might also be useful for you as they are filling and versatile.
Years ago I ha a copy of Rosé Elliot's book which I think was called ' Vegetarian mother and baby ..it might be helpful for you to get hold of a couple of vegetarian and also vegan cookbooks with recipes in that are suitable for babies .there are loads of babies that are bought up as vegetarian and this might help you find the dietary restrictions easier.

Just be carefully not to introduce to many different flavours too quickly , keep foods simple and gentle for a while .

crossed He may eventually grow out of the majority of these intolerances . crossed

Last edited by mummza (Thu 30 May 13 12:09pm)

    Likes (0)

#1048 Thu 30 May 13 12:22pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

sheilajay wrote:

Hi there,
          I used my Jamie Oliver fire pit/ pizza oven for the first time yesterday. I followed instructions, heated the pizza stone for about 30 mins, the charcoal was white and I felt that it was really hot. The pizza did not cook properly and I was really disappointed. What am I doing wrong please.
                                 Thanks
                                 Sheila

Welcome to the forum sheilajay

What sort of topping did you have on the pizza (, I am assuming that it was homemade)
There are a few things that cold affect he way the pizza cooks , I think I'm right in saying that a thin crust is best for cooking in a wood fired pizza oven .(really quite thin )
If you put too much passata on the top of the pizza it makes it. Bit wet and the dough would then take longer to cook.
If you over top the pizza then this would also take longer for it to cook.
The best pizzas are topped sparingly.

Did you heat the oven with the front closed ( door on) I'm not an expert at cooking in one of these ovens by any manner of means but as far as I know the door needs to be on in order for the oven to get to the correct temperature.

What sort of mozzarella cheese did you use ?
The balls of mozzarella are very wet and this also affects the way the pizza cooks , I mainly use the firm mozzarella for pizza that can be cut into cubes or grated , if I use the balls of mozzarella that come in bags with fluid I ensure that they are very well drained .

We do have a forum member who builds wood fired ovens may be he might have some ideas as well as to why your pizza wasn't fully cooked .

    Likes (0)

#1049 Thu 30 May 13 9:20pm

Beckid01

Member
Member since Wed 29 May 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Thank you yes he is having treatment at hospital and everything am trying is on the advice of an allergy specialis and dietician, the wheatabix is so that he getting some sort of iron and i havnt try eggs yet waiting for the blood results to come back first. He is allergis to milk protine and food protin so we have to keep tryi g different things every day o see if he is able t tolerate it or not.....bt i will try what you suggested and see how we get on x
thumbsup

    Likes (0)

#1050 Fri 31 May 13 8:53am

Xan-Dal

Member
Member since Fri 31 May 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi there,

I forgot aerated chocolate recipe that you presented at the tv paprika, Can you say it again please?

                                           Thanks,
                                           Alexandra

Last edited by Xan-Dal (Fri 31 May 13 8:57am)

    Likes (0)

Powered by PunBB.