#1 Fri 12 Jul 13 7:19pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Any tips for sirloin?

Hi everybody!

I bought a piece of sirloin, around 1.7 Kgs and I'm planning to roast it for sunday lunch with the family.
Any nice tips out there? I want it medium rare and want to make sure the meat is soft and tender and not dry. Should I marinate it overnight?

Thanks!

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 12 Jul 13 8:10pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Any tips for sirloin?

Sirloin is a surprisingly tender cut of meat.  You do not need to marinate it.  It does well with a strong rub and roasted like a prime rib.  If you overcook it it will be dry, better served medium rare at most, and served in thin slices.

Last edited by koukouvagia (Fri 12 Jul 13 8:11pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 13 Jul 13 4:17am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

top sirloing or bottom sirloin?  is it bone in or boneless? It is probably not Tri-tip bottom sirloin  since 1.7 kg seems slightly too large. Tri tip would be a triangular shaped roast, thus tri tip for three points.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#4 Sat 13 Jul 13 8:30pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Its bottom sirloin I think. It's a cut that was being used for steaks, I've just decided to buy a bigger piece and roast it.
Its boneless but it still has all that fat on top.
I've had loads of sirloin steaks and its a great cut but I've never cooked a bigger piece and want to make sure it doesnt get dry.
I'm probably gonna rub it with a mix of herbs and spices, fry on both sides to seal it, then off to the oven covered with foil. Im thinking about cooking for 25/30 mins at 220ยบ leave it to rest and use the juices to make a nice thick sauce, what do you think?

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 13 Jul 13 9:56pm

Ashen

Forum champ
From out to lunch

sounds like a plan to me sergio.. I prefer to go with hot to start then slow oven to finish with roasts I do. Sirloin tender enough that it can be truely roasted, as in not submerged in liquid to braise  I will leave the guesses on the timing and temp to you though as I am not sure about how your oven runs.    I use a digital thermometer to gauge with most meat I cook instead of times.  The desitity of meat, shape of meat and amount of fat (not much in sirloin) means that going by time isn't very acurate. .  I would pull a sirloin roast at about 135 F ~57 C in center of thickest part.  and rest for a good 5 to 10 mins for a med to med-rare finish.

Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#6 Sun 14 Jul 13 1:46am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I do as does Ashen.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#7 Sun 14 Jul 13 3:30pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I wouldn't cover it.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 14 Jul 13 11:59pm

Maree

Forum champ

koukouvagia wrote:

I wouldn't cover it.

Me either (until resting).

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 15 Jul 13 1:59am

Ashen

Forum champ
From out to lunch

I wouldn't cover it automatically, but  since I like to go hot first then finish slow to temp , if it is getting too much colour it might need  a loose piece of foil on top towards the end.

Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#10 Mon 15 Jul 13 2:14am

Maree

Forum champ

Ashen wrote:

I wouldn't cover it automatically, but  since I like to go hot first then finish slow to temp , if it is getting too much colour it might need  a loose piece of foil on top towards the end.

True, but then again, if I was baking/ roasting most things and they were getting too much colour before being cooked (eg a cake), I'd cover them/ it too.

Last edited by Maree (Mon 15 Jul 13 10:52am)

Likes (0)