forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 21 Aug 13 5:20pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Waste less

The big one – spill your very best waste-not-want-not tips. What foods that would often be discarded without a second thought can you make miracles with?

Likes (2)

#2 Wed 21 Aug 13 10:09pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Waste less

I have to be honest Merlin we waste very little food , I'm pretty good at using up leftovers .
Not even vegetable peelings or things like the tough outer leaves from the cabbage get wasted as they end up in the composter. The comppost gets fed back onto the garden when its ready .

Bones get disgarded into the food waste often once they have been simmered to make stock .

We do waste a bit of bread , but thats often as I dont eat much and if my darling has got a bit enthusiastic with the bread making. But.. we sometiimes slice bread if we have too much and put the slices in a plastic food bag and iinto the freezer,, perfect for toast or croutons.

left over rice gets put into a plastic box then chilled quickly in the refrigerator and made into a vegetable fried rice the next day ( make sure the rice is very well heated if you plan to do this )

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 21 Aug 13 10:22pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I rarely finish my portion of dinner and my husband's favorite saying is: "that'll be good in an omelet tomorrow!"  I do like my omelets.

Odd bits of cheese get thrown into a mac n cheese, once I cut off the hard or green bits.

Odd bits of bread get thrown in a very low oven, dried out and put in the breadcrumbs tin.

I buy wonderful parmesan.  The rind gets thrown into the freezer which I then use in my beef stock.

The hard green parts of leeks get cleaned and placed in the freezer for later use in stocks.

Sad looking bananas become banana nut bread.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 22 Aug 13 6:05am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Composting. We have two compost bins on the go. With small children there is more wastage.

Likes (2)

#5 Thu 22 Aug 13 6:32am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Growing herbs. I never unused to use the whole bunch, so growing herbs is the method I use to avoid wasting an expensive ingredient. And your soft herbs are in much better condition when used fresh.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 22 Aug 13 7:45am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Make the effort to plan meals in advance. Write your shopping list to reflect the ingredients required. Less waste is likely; composting; freezer and growing /picking your own veg, salad leaves and herbs.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#7 Fri 23 Aug 13 1:03am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

I freeze grated cheese, Koukou! No wastage & always there to top pizza's, toasted/sandwiches etc! I have used or cooked more to have left-over savoury mince with veges to make a hearty mince pie!
TWR, I don't grow herbs (my daughter does!) - however the Café I worked at did grow their own & readily used, parsley, mint & rosemary!
{Not in line with cooking here, but with not having wastage, Merlin...I know that it might not be considered ideal to feed birds scraps, but if it is scraps & not leftovers to be freezed - the many sparrows etc love them exclaim }

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Fri 23 Aug 13 3:24am)

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 23 Aug 13 2:27pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

thinking of not wasting fuel.
Sometimes if I have the oven on I put in a dish of tomatoes to bake that are scattered with a few herbs and olive oil sometimes some balsamic vinegar too.
I can then used these the next day for a quick lunch of tomatoes on toast or I can add them to salad leaves.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 23 Aug 13 11:12pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Stock, carcases,  bones and shells make homemade stock. Never throw away. The best risotto comes from homemade stock. I have a box of duck leg bones from work, best hash ever coming up! How much wild salad never gets picked? Plastic packaging on supermarket salad what a waste. Pick blackberries. Don't waste your time in that supermarket.
What a Waste was an excellent tune by the late great Ian Dury
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmopROxBnBU

Likes (2)

#10 Sat 24 Aug 13 9:16am

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

I found that spring onions always went slimy quickly in the fridge and was always throwing them out until I was given the idea of replanting them in a pot (as long as they still have their roots attached of course).  lol

Likes (3)