forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 27 Aug 13 12:13pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Re: Waste less

Those were FAB guys, thanks! Keep 'em coming, we love them.

Likes (3)

#12 Tue 27 Aug 13 12:35pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I keep any vegetable leftovers, or stalks from broccoli or cauliflower, and once or twice a week I turn them into vegetable soup (using the stock I've made from any leftover bones!), which I then freeze in single portions for a quick lunch.  If there's any leftover bits of meat, I can then shred it and put it into the soup to heat through and add a bit of variety.

I like to stew leftover fruit and either make a fool for a quick and easy pudding, or puree, strain and freeze for a coulis for future puddings.

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 31 Aug 13 12:12am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Spring onion tip, genius,thanx

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 05 Sep 13 1:06pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I use sliced broccoli stalk in stirfrys rather than throwing it out.

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 05 Sep 13 8:56pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

yes I agree hat spring onion tip is genius.

also the green part of the spring onion is often wasted but it is great added to stirfries, soups or savory rice.

I also add brocoli stalks to stirfries but as they have a tougher outer layer I peel them frst.

If I am making a 'Cauliflower Cheese' I like to cook potatoes also and add these to the dish with the cauliflower and cheese sauce , it bulks up the dish and turns it from a siide dish into a more substantial dish.
I cook the potatoes in a pan of water and when they are partly cooked I add the cauliflower florets on top , ( I just pull the branches off the cauliflower sten and so they are reasonable sized florets !)
I chop some of the stalk and cook that also.
Another thing that I usually cookis  the smaller leaves those that are nearest to the cauliflower and also  some of the middle leaves that I just rip the green part of the leaf off the stem and cook hose too , the very outer leaves can be fairly tough so they go into the comopost bin at the end of the garden.

If you dont have a grater for the cheese when making the cheese sauce, dont worry , just chop the cheese ainto small pieces and it will still melt in the sauce.

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 05 Sep 13 8:58pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I thiink that one or the key things about trying to be econmical and waste less if to work out what flavours go together once this is known using up leftovers etc gets easier and less gets wasted.

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 09 Sep 13 12:57pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

You know when you've used up a jar of mustard or a jar of mayonnaise but it's still got a bit on the sides that you can't get?  Well I swirl around vinegar into the jar and maybe some olive oil and seasonings, put the cap back on and shake it wildly.  Instant dressing, and the jar is clean and ready for disposal.

Likes (5)

#18 Tue 10 Sep 13 1:57pm

fiononi

Member since Mon 09 Sep 13

Save the waxed/foil paper from butter to grease tins when baking.

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 10 Sep 13 2:01pm

fiononi

Member since Mon 09 Sep 13

Shop your fridge/freezer before going to the supermarket and only buy what ingreadients you need to turn what you have already got into a meal. Also consider portions sizes and think about what you will have left over and make sure that you plan a meal to use all those up. ie If I need carrots for dinner on Monday night I buy a 1kg bag (always on offer where I shop and only £1) so I know that I need to use carrots in some of my other meals that week while they are fresh.

Likes (0)

#20 Mon 23 Sep 13 1:18pm

Boobella

Member since Mon 23 Sep 13

I recently cooked the mothership Sunday beef brisket ( my family all said they preferred it to the usual roast beef!) ... And with the leftovers I made a cottage pie... Not that original I know, but I had leftover swede & carrot mash and roast potatoes too so I blitzed the beef and put it in a dish with the leftover gravy then made a a small amount of mashed potatoes and blended with the swede and carrot mash to top the pie and put in the oven. I had about half a dozen leftover roast potatoes so I blitzed them in the magi mix and added a little grated gruyere cheese cos it was in the fridge ( cheddar would work too) and used this as a cruchy crumb topping which I added to the pie around 10 mins before the end of cooking. It worked really well and gave a fab texture to the dish. My daughter said it was like having a roast dinner all in one dish ... It would freeze well too.

Likes (0)