Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 16 Aug 13 3:06pm

RebeccaBourhill

Occupation Student wanna be chef
From Rustenberg, South Africa
Member since Mon 30 Aug 10

Scheuermann's/ Shermans Disease

Hi guys,
I know that this is not really to do with this type of forum, but I have been diagnosed with Shemans disease which is an irregularity of this spine which causes great pain or for me anyway, which has also lead to me being very emotional.

I was wondering if anyone else has heard of it or has it themselves and what you did for the pain or generally helped you? How long have you been in pain for?
I also recently have had numbing of legs was that also a symptom that you had?

I looks forward to hearing from you.
Rebecca

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 16 Aug 13 6:01pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Re: Scheuermann's/ Shermans Disease

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry to hear that. I have heard about the disease before.
You say "causes great pain or for me anyway, which has also lead to me being very emotional."
If you allow me, I think it's the other way around...you most likely got it cause you are and have been very emotional.
Back problems are very much related to the way we relate to others, maybe you think that you carry others on your back, or you carry too much responsability.

I have a friend and colleague in SA, he's in Durban which I think is a bit far from you but I can give you his contact. You can email me if you want more information.

All the best!! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 16 Aug 13 7:26pm

RebeccaBourhill

Thanks for your response. I would love to get hold of him! It is saying that your email Is not available. You can send me an email to rebeccabourhill (at) gmail.com. What does he do exactly? Looking forward to contacting him!!! Always looking for more info.
A you said about being emotional. The pain first started when I was packing my school bag at school I got up but forced back to the flor because of a sharp pain and that's when I started going to physio and then went to the doctor to have ex rays.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 17 Aug 13 11:29am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

A serious diagnosis can make you feel more emotional. See if your doctor can do an anxiety and depression screening questionnaire. Always good to get on to those things early.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 17 Aug 13 1:32pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

With all due respect, depression screening questionnaires are ridiculous tend to guide a person to a condition that s/he may not have.
I'm not a doctor but I can tell you right away what's gonna happen if she goes and see one to get a "serious diagnose"? He'll ask "Are you unhappy with your pain?" "Are you anxious that you may not get rid of it soon" She'll answer yes to both questions and she'll leave his office with a anti depressant prescription...

Human beings deserve better than this!

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 17 Aug 13 4:13pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I don think thats the case at all Sergio, anti depressants are not prescribed anywhere near as often as they used to be.

I have to say Rebecca that I am in agreement with WhiteRabbit , if you have been disgnosed with a very nasty condition , as you have then it most deffinatly make you feel emotional .
You have gone along to the doctors with the hope that he may well be able to sort out the symptoms that you have been having , instead you get told they will not get better very quickly at all.
Its hard enough to cope with as an adult but as a younger person it seems far worse as you always imagine the worse things possible.
Its bound to make you feel low and your family anxious.
That part of things should imporove on its own as you get more used to dealing with everyday life together with the symptme that you are having.

Try to see the good points about what you can actually do and try to find ways of managing  that will try to help you cope with the pain you are having.
One of the hardest things as well as coping with the pain is that you might have trouble doing some of your more sporty actvities, things like horse riding might agrevate it so instead of riding your horse at a faster pace just try to go along at a gentler trot and see if that is more easier to cope with.
Also I understand that exercise like yoga can help , presumibly this is because it can help your back and other joints stretch at a gentler pace and keep them moving  .

In time you will learn to live happily alongside this rather nasty diagnosis, you will be able to work out the things that are best avoided and agrevate the condition and you will be able to work out the things that actually help to improve things for you.
Dont forget Rebecca , its still very early days since you initial diagnosis you are just getting used to the devestating news that there is something wrong , its I am sure been a terrible shock for you.

Now try to think positivly about tis although I know at the moment it seems devastating and what ever you do dont let it rule your life , I know that seems an impossible ask at the mment as you are feeling a bit low about it but really do not let it rule your life or it will cause you endless misery.
Instead just take things that you generally did slower for a while as you will soon find ways around the things that you have always loved to do , you might not be able to do some of the things quite as intensly as you used to but just keep trying and I am sure you will gradually be able to do most of what you want to.

thumbsup  So rebecca... think positive , it does really help . kiss neutral

Last edited by mummza (Sat 17 Aug 13 4:22pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 17 Aug 13 6:15pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I"m sorry Rebecca.  I hope that you will make a list of questions and concerns that you have and take them to your next appointment with your doctor or give your doctor a call with your list in hand.  It is very common for people to think of issues and concerns later, after seeing the doctor, so it is just fine to ask now and keep asking.  Other patients with the same disease may have a very different experience than you and may or may not be able to do more or less than you, so asking their advice really will not help you.

It is very common, and I don't know why, for people who know absolutely nothing about medicince to either try to scare you more about your condition or to make light of it.  This will only make you feel worse and it is of no use whatsoever.  You need the advice of medical professionals about things like pain and numbness, etc.

I deleted the rest of what I wrote.  I'm seriously disturbed by some of the comments here.  No one other than a qualified physician should try to tell you anything about your condition because they simply are not qualified.  They don't know the cause, the cure, the symptoms, they don't know anything about your condition or what activities are safe for you.  People will tell you how to feel emotionally.  That's also useless advice because your feelings are valid and no one really knows what you are going through.  It's a very personal thing.  A little knowledge is dangerous.  It is very easy for people to misinterpret what little they know about a disease without a medical education.

People wil always offer advice and false information, whether you ask for it or not when you tell them you're suffering with a disease or injury.  This happened to me during the past year when I was recovering from a serious injury.  I didn't ask for advice, but was given very bad advice from people who had no medical knowledge.  I didn't take their advice.  Another thing that can happen, and it did to me, is that some will challenge the things your doctor tells you.  I was publicly humiliated by this online when I had not asked for their opinion.  I was told that the risks my surgeon warned me about with the last surgery weren't real, which was completely false and which also made me angry.  Several of my friends chimed in to say, 'oh please don't listen to anyone but your doctor'.  That is exactly what I did because it was the most reasonable, intelligent choice for me.  I wanted to make my choices based on advice from the most qualified person - my doctor.  That is exactly what you should do as well.

Best of luck.  Hang in there.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 17 Aug 13 9:30pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 18 Aug 13 8:25am

RebeccaBourhill

Thanks for all your replays! The name of the disease sounds alot worse than Is , I. Think.
Because I'm still at school and I'm sitting at a desk all day is not the best and I have stress from work as well.
We are going to make an appointment with a physician tomorrow (Monday). We haven't got the best doctors in Rustenburg, South Africa. We went back to the doctor on Wednesday and we left with him just telling us that we must just go back to the neuro surgeon, we have already been to him and he said to us that he is not the right guy that can help (the neuro surgeon). He's he one that made the diagnosis. He's about 100km away from us in Pretoria.  But didn't know anything about the disease so everything that I have heard about it comes from the Internet. We think there is more this.
Apparently the pain goes aftter about 3 years of diagnosis.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 27 Aug 13 6:46pm

RebeccaBourhill

Dear Sergio1972,

Thank you for all your input through email and Skype, you have defiantly opened my eyes to my emotional level. We have been to many health care professionals and yet haven't found an answer. I do believe that you have set me on the right path already my pain has already subsided and hope it will continue that way!
I will keep you posted.
Thanks again,

Rebecca

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 29 Aug 13 3:11pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

Hi Rebecca,
Dont thank me, thank your mind, thank yourself, cause as I told you, I did nothing myself, I just took you to where you needed to go.
Anyway, I'm glad that I could be of help and keep in touch cause there's still some work to do! wink

Likes (2)