forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 29 Sep 13 9:52pm

jen.martin

Member since Sun 29 Sep 13

cauliflower cheese

I tried the califlower cheese from the new book, the one with frozen califlower?  But it doesnt work it was watery and made the cheese sauce swim in water? Not good

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 29 Sep 13 10:37pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: cauliflower cheese

Wecome to  the forum jen.martin smile

I have the book but as yet I have not tried any of the recipes, I am sorry that the cauliflower turned out to be watery , I will have to find where the book has been put ( the cookerybooks seem to grow lega and end up all over the house when my daughters are home lol  ) and see if I can read the recipe and find out why this has happened .

Likes (2)

#3 Sun 29 Sep 13 10:44pm

jen.martin

Member since Sun 29 Sep 13

Hiya. Yeah it looked so good on the telly a right teatime winner. So it was a shame it was all watery. Look forward to hearing from you x

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 29 Sep 13 10:52pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

that was quick jen we must have bothe been on the forum at the same time !

Frozen cauliflower is not something that I use as having tried it once I found that I dont like the texture so I always use fresh , I am interested to see the method that was used for this recipe.
I know that these recipes get well tested before the book goes to print so there must be some explanation as to why it did not work as planned.

sometimes the food team get to read these posts and I think that they also get involved in the testing of recipes etc, if they see this post they might be able to help you better.

I know that my daughters have made things from the book and been delighted with have they have turned out . I will try to find my book tomorrow and look at the recipe.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 29 Sep 13 11:34pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I don't like the texture of most frozen veg either. Frozen peas are the only veg I keep.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#6 Sun 29 Sep 13 11:40pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

much ike me then Maree.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 30 Sep 13 12:00am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Yep, Mummza smile

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#8 Mon 30 Sep 13 5:28am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Perhaps the cheese sauce split in the oven?  I've had it happen with cauliflower and cheese that I baked and with broccoli and cheese that was baked, although neither were Jamie's recipes.  This would make the dish full of little lumps and the rest of the sauce is watery.  I'm not sure if that is what happened with your dish.

I never buy frozen cauliflower or broccoli, really not a fan of most frozen vegs and they are very affordable fresh, easy to prepare and keep well in the crisper in the refrigerator.  They can be a bit watery, but if your sauce was very watery, it sounds like it may have split.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 30 Sep 13 9:26am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I find, even when using fresh cauliflower, that it's important for the cauliflower to be very dry before you put the sauce over the top.  I usually sit the cauliflower in a sieve over the saucepan until there's no liquid left draining from the sieve, then I put the cauliflower into a warm dish, into the oven without the sauce for a few seconds, and then pour the sauce over the top.

My grandmother always used to tell me to make sure that the sauce, cauliflower and dish were all the same temperature before combining, as well, and it does seem to make a difference.  Hope that helps for you!

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 02 Oct 13 5:39pm

Jamie's Food Team

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

jen.martin wrote:

I tried the califlower cheese from the new book, the one with frozen califlower?  But it doesnt work it was watery and made the cheese sauce swim in water? Not good

Thank you very much for your comment. We really appreciate all feedback on recipes. i am sorry to hear that the recipe did not work for you. We have tested the recipe 3 times at HQ so i am sorry to hear that it was not right for you. I would suggest checking that your oven is running at the correct temperature, this will impact on cooking and if it is running slighter lower that you think then most of the moisture will not have evaporated. Also some ovens have hotter spots than others which can affect cooking times. Many thanks

Likes (0)