forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 29 Jul 10 5:58pm

jonny_red

From Hart
Member since Thu 29 Jul 10

Silverside... is fast roasting for a rare but tender result possible?

Hi all

I've just bought a nice piece of mature silverside of beef (1kg in weight) from my local farm shop and I'm after a bit of advice.

I know silverside is traditionally a joint more suited to slow cooking/pot roasting because of its composition but my butcher suggested fast roasting it at 220C in a really hot oven for about 40 minutes with about 15-20 minutes resting time which he says should give me a rare but tender and juicy roast.

Has anyone tried this?  The joint cost me just over 10 so I'm a bit reluctant to chance ruining it when I could just pot roast but on the other hand, I'm curious to try something a bit different.

On a slightly different note, what is the general consensus with silverside in terms of browning and sealing the meat before roasting?  Is it worth doing this in a pan or by starting the roast off at a higher temperature?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jon

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 29 Jul 10 6:21pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Re: Silverside... is fast roasting for a rare but tender result possible?

I would say no. There just isn't enough fat on silverside, and it could end up shrunken and tough as old boots. I would recommend pot roasting:

This recipe would be fine for your 1kg joint. It would comfortably serve 4.

(By the way, I like browning the meat, and sometimes dust it all over with salt, mustard powder and flour before frying.)

Pre-heat the oven to 170C

- Pat the beef dry and rub it with oil, salt and pepper.
- Place a casserole or roasting tin over a high heat, and quickly brown the beef all over. Remove it to a plate.
- Throw some chopped root veggies, garlic, and some hardy herbs, such as rosemary, thyme and bay into the casserole/tin.
- Sprinkle over a tablespoon of plain flour or corn flour.
- Pour in either half a bottle of red wine, 400ml of beef stock, or a mixture of both, and bring to the boil.
- Place the beef back in the casserole/tin, and cover with a lid, or a double layer of foil.
- Cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove the beef to a warmed plate to rest, and cover with foil then a tea towel.
- Spoon off any excess fat from the casserole/tin, and strain the cooking juices into a clean pan. If the sauce is too thin, you can boil it hard for a couple of minutes to reduce.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by john_lee (Thu 29 Jul 10 7:33pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 30 Jul 10 4:57pm

jonny_red

From Hart
Member since Thu 29 Jul 10

Thanks for the reply... I'm a bit skeptical about the idea too.  I remember talking to a chef a few years ago about roasting beef and he firmly subscribed to the slow cooking of silverside.

I think I'm going to err on the side of caution (and advice!) and leave the the roasting to the forerib smile

My butcher seemed so convinced though so I'm guessing that his partner most of the cooking in his house tongue

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 19 Aug 12 3:26pm

ButcherD

Member since Sun 19 Aug 12

Hey there

Your butcher is correct but, it depends on the beef!
I work for a very good family run butchers in Devon and we breed all our own red ruby and find that our silverside is perfect for a quick hot roast, in fact I have a piece in the oven as I type this! I have my oven at about 200 degrees C, season the joint with plenty of good salt and pepper and blast mine for about 10mins a lb. Its the resting thats a big part of it (at least 30mins resting) as this keeps the meat gently cooking and should end up tough.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 04 Nov 12 7:08pm

avid cooker

Member since Sun 04 Nov 12

I've just tried Jamie's recipie for perfect roast beef and used a huge chunk of Silverside - about 6.5 lb (3 Kg).  I was a bit worried about it turning out tough so did the following.

I got my butcher to give me a big piece of beef fat.  I sliced this thinly and used cocktail stick to stick it all overt eh surface after I had rubbed in the oil and seasonings.

Pre-heated the oven as suggested then turned it down as I put the meat in.  I basted every 40 mins and added about 1/2 pt (250ml) water each time to stop the veggies drying out.  I cooked it for 2.5 hours and took the fat off the meat after the last basting.  After cookinf it was rested for 30 mins.  This meat was wonderful , tender, juicy, and great flavour.  My mum now thinks I'm a genius!

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 06 Nov 13 9:56pm

pdw@me.com

Member since Wed 06 Nov 13

OK, I just cooked 950g of silverside beef for 40 minutes at 220 C (in a hot oven) after rubbing it liberally with salt, pepper & crushed rosemary. I also poured some sweet Soy (Kicap Manis) over it to add some sweetness.  After a strict 40 minutes I took it out and it sat for 30 minutes before carving.

It was perfectly rare, deliciously textured and moist. I'd say your butcher was right!

Perhaps the quality was key, this had been bought from a butcher by my father and then frozen. It looked well drained.

Likes (0)