Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1211 Sun 17 Nov 13 9:54pm

livelovlafff

Member since Sun 17 Nov 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

I'm so sad right now!!!  Were you at Winco in Bakersfield, Ca?  I almost commented to you how impressed I was with the contents in your cart (not usual for a single man in this area), but I kept my comment to myself!!!  Then I realized at the fish department that you had an accent.  I didn't have my glasses on and asked my husband if it was you.  He said no, but it had to be you!!!  No real cooking question, sorry!!!  I'm signing up for one of your classes right now!!!

Likes (0)

#1212 Tue 19 Nov 13 2:33pm

Jdxmikexclairex

Member since Tue 19 Nov 13

Hi Jamie

Please can you suggest an alternative to vinegar in cooking? I don't like it and it really doesn't agree with me but so many of your recipes include different types of vinegars. I mainly use lemon or lime but it really doesn't work on all recipes.  Please help any suggestions greatly appreciated

thanks Claire x

Likes (0)

#1213 Thu 21 Nov 13 11:46am

masayangtao

Member since Sat 22 Dec 12

Hi guys.
Can anyone tell me is it viable to freeze lemon zest for later use?
Thanks

Likes (0)

#1214 Thu 21 Nov 13 12:53pm

Stacy14

Member since Wed 16 Oct 13

Hi Jamie,

Do you know any diabetic recipes?

Likes (0)

#1215 Mon 25 Nov 13 8:56pm

lugofoil

Member since Mon 25 Nov 13

Probably a daft question - excuse this novice poster:
I'm always thrown by the expression "then season to perfection". It creeps its seemingly innocent way into practically every recipe, but only serves to remind me I'm going to get this wrong!

I get it's about salt and pepper. But how much of which? I'm sure there's a bit of personal taste here, but there must be some benchmark. A starting point for novice cooks like yours truly to experiment from?

Likes (0)

#1216 Tue 26 Nov 13 9:37am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Welcome lugofoil.

On reading your post, I'm immediately thinking you're not in the UK?    "Then season to perfection" is a term I've never seen.  Here we tend to see "Season to taste"  and it means just that.  It's about your personal taste.  As you cook, it's sensible to keep tasting until you get it right for you.  Start small as once the seasoning is added, you can't take it out again - add more as you go along if required.  Think of the ingredients and how much natural salt is already there, like bacon, etc.

Keep experimenting and good luck - it will come and very soon.

Likes (3)

#1217 Mon 02 Dec 13 10:12am

Ancheta.Ace

Member since Mon 02 Dec 13

I just want to ask what can I do with a Camembert cheese? I am actually aiming to make it as a ravioli filling. But I do not know what to put with the Camembert cheese. When I search on the internet, what usually comes out is Camembert and apples, or baked Camembert with garlic and rosemary. I suppose I wanted something more adventurous to do with a Camembert. What do you think?  smile  smile  smile  help  help  help

Likes (0)

#1218 Thu 05 Dec 13 4:14am

Rosefadhil

Member since Thu 05 Dec 13

What can I use to substitute the mince pork stuffing for the roast turkey as we don't eat pork.

Likes (0)

#1219 Thu 05 Dec 13 9:31am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Hiya Rosefadhil!
Does not eating port include bacon?  You can use chopped bacon (smoked would be better I think) mixed with breadcrumbs, chopped celery, etc.
What about minced chicken?

Likes (0)

#1220 Wed 11 Dec 13 9:01pm

Caspar68

Member since Wed 11 Dec 13

I'm cooking for 30+ people at Christmas and was planning on slow roasting two shoulders of pork. I would like to make get ahead gravy to go with it. What do you recommend? We always use your get ahead gravy at Christmas when we roast turkey, how should I adapt for pork?

Likes (0)