forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 24 Nov 13 2:19pm

stephw03

Member since Sun 24 Nov 13

Mission to Bring Better Food to Canadians

I hate to have my first post be negative - but I have to say I'm disappointed.  I have been a fan of Jamie Oliver's for a long time.  I remember his very first show on Food Network.  I have so appreciated the way he has championed cooking at home for your family and the importance of good, healthy ingredients and cooking from SCRATCH.  I cannot reconcile that vision with him now peddling his own line of prepared foods through his relationship with Sobeys (a grocery store chain in Canada).  I found the following quote from his "ministry of food" website -  "I want to inspire you to get in the kitchen and cook meals for yourself and your family from scratch, whether you're a complete beginner or a good cook who likes simplicity."

I am sure that the ingredients in his line of prepared foods will be of better quality than other prepared food - but ultimately prepared food has more preservatives and other ingredients that just wouldn't be part of a home cooked meal from scratch.  If the message of his mission is that good quality meals can be made at home in 15 minutes or less (and they certainly can be) - then I question why he has started putting his name on the very types of products he claims are so problematic for our children. 

I am so disappointed because obviously this "ministry of food" is ultimately about making money and not so much about the importance of healthy food made from scratch.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 24 Nov 13 3:47pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Mission to Bring Better Food to Canadians

I can't find ingredients lists for the products, but they look wonderful.  I'd love to be able to buy them here in the U.S.

There's no reason why the foods need to contain preservatives or unhealthy ingredients.  Just the fact that they are 'convenient' doesn't make them poor choices over cooking from scratch.  I used to buy these wonderful little frozen meals from our local organic shop that were fully seasoned and spiced, usually Indian or Thai meals, delicious, not one bad ingredient . . . for the night before taking off for travels for months at a time.  If the price was a bit lower, I'd buy them more often because I often dine solo and have no desire to cook and clean every single day.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 24 Nov 13 10:55pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Wow..   I love these high horse  judgmental threads.   roll   The ideal is that people will cook from scratch , when they need another option , his products are there as a better alternative to the standard processed pre-prepared products.  He is not a priest of some religion sworn to poverty BTW, this notion that because he makes money ,he has lost credibility is bogus.   There is no reason whatsoever that he cannot or should not make money while also trying to promote  healthful eating.

BTW ..If you take the time to check out the sobeys website you will see three pages of recipes for scratch cooking that Jamie has put of on there if you don't want to buy the other products.

https://www.sobeys.com/en/recipes/tag/jamie-oliver

Last edited by Ashen (Sun 24 Nov 13 11:16pm)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#4 Mon 25 Nov 13 2:54am

stephw03

Wow - not sure it's me who needs to get off my high horse or stop being judgemental, Ashen.  I never suggested that Jamie Oilver should live like a priest - of course he should be able to make a living - and he has by lately championing good, healthy, scratch cooking.  He has gone into school kitchens, made television shows, given Ted Talks about it and just generally made his brand based on getting families back into the kitchen.  Making money has nothing to do with me believing that his prepared meals are bogus.  I think that making money from prepacked, prepared food from a large grocery chain in Canada seems like a diversion from his "food ministry."  I don't need to be told that there are pages of scratch recipes on the Sobeys website - I am completely aware of them.  However, that has nothing to do with the prepared meals message I posted.  I won't ever make the mistake of posting here again for fear of being personally attacked for expressing an opinion that doesn't agree with one of the faithful.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 25 Nov 13 5:24pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Jamie's been offering prepared foods for years from his shops in the U.K. and of course, he's been in the restaurant business most of his life.

I posted a question to the admins on this site to help me find ingredients lists for Jamie's pre-made foods offered at Sobeys  . . . and I wrote to Sobeys to ask the same.

There's no point in discussing what you assume to be in the foods.  Let's discuss what is in the foods that you feel is unhealthy.  If you have seen something on those ingredient lists that is bad, fine, dish it!

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 02 Dec 13 2:40pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Jamie treads a fine line to keep him self popular. If he looses his popularity many will suffer. At the moment many are benefiting from his popularity. Sometimes he has to do things that perhaps are not the best in the world. But they need to be done. His fish fingers are the best in the Freezer, for example. His dinner Pop up is not the best restaurant in the world, but compared to the opposition in this area it ticks lots of good boxes. So he has to cross the line sometimes.
Not sure about Canada as I am in the UK.
He does more good, than some of the journalist who slag him off.Hello C&B and friend, I know you are reading this.
I have followed Jamie from the beginning, he is a good man. I realise he is worth a lot of money, as are others (who are to be avoided). He is without doubt one of the good guys. He is still a joy to watch. He does so much for others, we should support this great man and his team.
Will check out this when I have Thyme (oops typo).

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 02 Dec 13 5:41pm

stephw03

I think Jamie is great too.  You will get no argument from me.  I just question these ready-made dinners at Sobeys.  What I didn't mention in my initial post is that I would be willing to bet that Sobey's wanted the ready-made stuff because it's good for their bottom line.  I guess I also wonder when enough is enough when it comes to money and wouldn't it be great if the ready made stuff just didn't have to be part of his food ministry.  It really can take less time to make a good meal than heating one his frozen meals up.  But - I absolutely agree that he has done a lot of good - but the corporate bottom line will always be a priority (if not as much for Jamie then for the many, many corporations associated with him) when you have a brand as powerful as Jamie Oliver's.

Likes (0)