forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Tue 26 Oct 10 12:49am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Re: Aluminium, plastic, teflon & Tefal is not safe to cook with!

5g of chocolate kills birds.
The birds keep eating my gardening seeds.
Has evil genius idea of planting chocolate coated seeds.
If I use organic choc my garden will still be organic too.
(Evil laugh). Whahahahahaha.

Last edited by TerryKay (Tue 26 Oct 10 12:53am)

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#22 Wed 27 Oct 10 7:56am

Rachelcooper

From Australia
Member since Thu 14 Oct 10

falconcy wrote:

I think we can safely say that throughout the history of this planet, we have evolved and developed many things, some of which can be blamed for pollution or causing adverse health effects.

Personally I think we need to balance out the usefulness factor with the potential risk. Where one outweighs the other then we know which way to go. As far as non-stick coatings go, the trick has to be developing less toxic products.

Without a doubt, the non-stick pan has made life easier for many people - try frying an egg in a "stick" pan wink

This is particularly important given that people today have more access to information and are generally more concerned about health and environmental issues.

We will never stop progress, as the Luddites found out when they tried to stop the electrical loom, or the worried people who thought that computers would put them out of a job have found.

good point smile

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 11 Nov 10 2:58am

Rachelcooper

From Australia
Member since Thu 14 Oct 10

I was reading more about Teflon and cookware and which to use.  This link shows which types of cookware materials are safe or not?

http://environment.about.com/od/healthe … okware.htm

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 02 Jun 11 6:13pm

jjgo1984

Member since Thu 02 Jun 11

After researching the different surfaces of non-stick pans I ended up buying a Run pan, with Titanium ceramic surface..... I have NEVER cooked on anything like this, actually is non-stick (unlike other brands I have used), surface is safe and doesn't degrade.... and they offer a 25 year guarantee.... thepanpeople.co.uk or a great deal on a saute pan on ebay, item 320708297792

would deffo reccomend big_smile

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 02 Jun 11 7:21pm

whitedog

Forum champ
Occupation striving to be a better human
From america
Member since Sat 09 Feb 08

Aluminum will never be found in my kitchen, nor do I use nonstick though the one mentioned in the above post sounds fine-ish. I use glass or stainless, iron or enamel. For making herbal infusions I use glass, as close to the stone bowls the shamans use as I can get. I don't trust the studies made to counter the findings in the 60s-70s, the industrialists are diabolical and will do whatever thay can to make a buck, including lie through scientists they hire to prove their products are safe.

I can only eat chocolate sometimes, actually rarely, it just makes me feel rotten, but I like it, so sad.

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 02 Dec 13 10:59pm

spectroman

Member since Mon 02 Dec 13

Well,

Im looking here to a Tefal pan that is scratched and peeling little bits off.

I went to research and found "the white rabbit" post totally dismissing the Tefal/Teflon sort of products. 

The White Rabbit wrote:

Teflon, the non-stick surface in non-stick cookware (aka PTFE) is fine.

Funny fact is that, not searching too much further, I got the information that Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), which is used along with Teflon/Tefal products , are well known nocive for animals, fatal to birds (that's according to DuPont itself) and both PFOA and PTFE have high levels of toxicity (even if that in specific conditions... I don't want to risk), although it is found in 98% of the US population for instance, it is associated with cronic kidney disease.

So don't go too fast in denial mode without look into studies about the subject.

And it is way more obvious that being a very big corporation, like DuPont and having a magnificent PR outreach, few information against its products will survive online.

Likes (0)

#27 Tue 03 Dec 13 7:32am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I'm not on the payroll of a multinational. If you can link some peer reviewed, i.e. a proper medical journal, research on the topic then I'll look at it. until then my opinions are unchanged.

If 98% of US adults have the exposure then why isn't the population dropping like flies from kidney disease.

Likes (0)