forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#721 Wed 04 Dec 13 9:08am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: What did you find in your garden today?

Rocket has gone to seed. Sage and thymes are dead. The minute the weather warms up, they curl up their toes hmm.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#722 Wed 04 Dec 13 1:52pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Still got a few Jasmine flowers in bloom and a white trailing flowered plant in my window trough flowering profusely.  Sage is good, as is the Rosemary.  Thyme's dying off for the winter.  Azalea buds developing ready for next Spring.  8 degrees celsius here today - feeling like 4.  Sunny at last.

Likes (0)

#723 Wed 04 Dec 13 2:10pm

Maree

Forum champ

Thistledo wrote:

Sage is good, as is the Rosemary.  Thyme's dying off for the winter.

My thyme dies off for summer. As said (above), sage has gone, too, and rosemary is not looking at all well hmm.

Likes (0)

#724 Fri 13 Dec 13 8:07am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

Our tomato plants were (until recently) producing tomatoes.  Of course, with this recent cold spell, we might well be looking at frozen tomatoes.

Hope the price of citrus doesn't skyrocket.

Likes (0)

#725 Fri 13 Dec 13 8:44am

Maree

Forum champ

I missed a day of watering and things are not good hmm.

Likes (0)

#726 Fri 13 Dec 13 11:00pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

My garden is in pots out the front door of my flat. It is coming into summer here and it looks very cottage gardeny (for a plain brick block of flats).
The wallflowers are still going, nasturtiums are everywhere, the pansies are still getting bigger and happier.
There is a huge parsley in the middle going to seed (so it self sows again) and the lettuce and and basil seedlings I have just planted are settling in. The tiny chilli is surviving!
There is a pot of pink and white begonias my neighbour gave me a couple of years ago that haven't stopped flowering (no idea how, I ignore them most of the time!). Thyme is growing happily and mint has just been reprimanded for trying to leave its pot, but is bouncing back again.
Oh and there are some shallots in there that I was given this year and have to work out how to harvest!
Violets are in between everything and the huge scented geranium is creeping into my next door neighbour's space. It is all green and happy.

Likes (0)

#727 Fri 13 Dec 13 11:11pm

Maree

Forum champ

Sounds lovely, Joy. My potted garden is still reprimanding me for not being able to water it a couple of days ago.

Likes (0)

#728 Sat 14 Dec 13 12:35am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I hope it recovers okay Maree! Pots dry out so quickly!

Likes (0)

#729 Sat 14 Dec 13 12:47am

Maree

Forum champ

Thanks, Joy. Yes, they sure do.  I think the basil (two sorts), the pick and come again lettuces, spinach and the two rockets are done for.

Feast or famine here. Last month was wettest November since records have been kept and this month, while still raining on and off, has had its share of 35+C days.

Likes (0)

#730 Tue 21 Jan 14 7:07am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

I had some romaine that didn't do well in the Aerogarden, so I planted it outside.  It seems to be doing well there.

In the meantime, all the plants that I put in the garden last summer got smothered by leaves from the neighbor's tree.  He won't trim it back.

Our pitbull, Kita, likes to dig.  She's getting plenty of practice in the backyard (she's probably lonely now, with Kiyi the Akita gone).

Last edited by Kaitlyn (Tue 21 Jan 14 7:08am)

Likes (0)