Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 29 Nov 12 12:23pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: what can i use instead of suet

hippytea wrote:

I don't know if I'd chew on raw suet if I were you. I don't actually know this, but a lump of raw fat from the abdomen of a dead animal doesn't seem like a healthy snack. The stuff in boxes has been rendered, so it's sterile - you can eat it straight from the box if you want. Mmm... chewy fat...

But hey, if chewing raw fat is your extreme sport, who am I to judge? I drive a car regularly, which is far more dangerous. I'm trying to kick the habit, but you know how it is, you step out, it's sitting there, all shiny and stuffed with juicy fossil fuel...

I don't think it's something I'd do again, but I wasn't prepared to put it in my food raw without trying a bit first to see what it tasted like (i.e. if it would taint my mincemeat!).  Mind you, I eat all sorts of things raw that I probably shouldn't these days.  If I know and trust the source, then it's my own fault if I'm ill!

Also, the stuff in boxes has been treated with wheat flour, which isn't good for me or my family, and is the reason I went to get the fresh in the first place  smile

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 29 Nov 12 1:04pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Thanks for taking one for the team Olivia! lol

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 29 Nov 12 7:23pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

yes, go on yersel, Olivia. They make us tough here. Chewing on raw suet, rocks, sheep, all in a day's entertainment. If you've seen Brave, that's pretty much everyday life in Scotland.

I'm sure other Scottish members will back me up on this.

Last edited by hippytea (Thu 29 Nov 12 7:24pm)

Likes (0)

#24 Fri 30 Nov 12 9:35am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#25 Sun 02 Dec 12 8:14am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Mr Grumpy wrote:

As I have a vegetarian daughter I only use Atora's vege suet now and I really can't tell the difference.  I don't know if you can get it in France.

Surprisingly, the Atora vegetarian suet was the only suet available in Kuala Lumpur (as far as I'm aware). I couldn't really tell the difference. I use it for dumplings and "seasoned pudding".

http://www.your-recipe.com/starters/oth … dding.html

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 25 Dec 13 7:33pm

jonah.berlin

Member since Wed 25 Dec 13

Hi guys, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here already.

Mrs. Beeton's famous Christmas recipes actually mention fig as a replacement (google "Beeton fruitarian plum pudding recipe.")

I like suet, but my family eats minced fig plum pudding. I don't see why you can't replace minced fig for suet in any dessert.

Cold butter is not a good replacement, nor is shortening. Buying "vegan" suet just seems like your typical waste of money. The point of suet is that it is a mildly sweet emulsifying agent and keeps the pudding solid. Finely chopped figs do the trick. Try it out.

Likes (0)

#27 Tue 07 Jan 14 8:53pm

user2014

Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

butter,no palm oil and suet.

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#28 Tue 07 Jan 14 11:54pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

wrote:

butter,no palm oil and suet.

I prefer to use butter always, but have not made Christmas pudding before.

How about giving yourself a name so that we can sort of identify you with a moniker on this site?  Just go to your profile page and put in the name you wish.  You said earlier that we should call you 'spas'.  It's kind of strange seeing your posts with no name, but if that is how you wish it, so be it.

Likes (0)

#29 Wed 08 Jan 14 3:20am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

MsPablo wrote:

How about giving yourself a name so that we can sort of identify you with a moniker on this site?  Just go to your profile page and put in the name you wish.  You said earlier that we should call you 'spas'.  It's kind of strange seeing your posts with no name, but if that is how you wish it, so be it.

I suggested that earlier, MsP. Spas declined.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)