forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 22 Mar 14 4:32pm

saq16

Member since Sat 22 Mar 14

The UK food industry?

Hello everyone big_smile

I have some questions about the UK food market that i hope you can answer or help me answer!

Is the UK food market controlled by a few major corporations just like in the US?
How has the UK's food industry evolved?

I would appreciate anyone answering or even just giving me links that answer these.

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 22 Mar 14 8:24pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: The UK food industry?

Welcome to the forums, saq16 wave

Sorry, I can't help. Someone who can may be along directly.

I'm curious. Is this for an education assignment (school/ college/ uni)? smile

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#3 Sun 23 Mar 14 7:32am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum saq16 smile

I have little idea about who controls the UK food industry as such saq16.
Like most places there are probably just a few major companies that control a lot of smaller companies .

What I do know is that the UK now has a very diverse food culture .
There are many different nations that live in our cities each with their different food cultures and these are all drawn together to provide what we now eat .
This has happened in many countries .
In a city like London you can but almost any type foodstuff somewhere within the city . There are many different types if shops and restaurants and the street food scene is now starting to take off.

Supermarkets in the UK , have a variety if foods , fresh meats and fresh fruits and vegetables as well as the premade foods like foods in cans and jars , dried foods and ingredients plus ready meals . So pretty much the same as in America and many other countries.

What we are seeing in recent years is the arrival of small supermarkets on the high street , smaller shops that are run by a larger supermarket chain they carry a good but more limited stock of goods.
I live in a city and I have 4 Tesco's Express stores within easy walking distance from where I live , I also have a Sainsbury's version of a smaller supermarket in close walking distance. So I think this high street explosion of smaller stores is one if the ways the larger supermarket chains I'd starting to dominate the food markets more.

I go into these stores very little as a great deal of my food shopping is done on line .
The supermarket's do online delivery service .

There is at least one company ( ocado ) that sell supermarket shopping without any high street stores and sell only via an online delivery buisness . I use one of these companies for my supermarket shopping .
I never buy meat from them though as I like to see what I am buying for my family. I buy these from a local butchers.

Fresh fruit and vegetables I get delivered weekly via an organic vegetable box scheme . The box contents vary each week and are based around what is in season .
Organic vegetable box delivery schemes , if you want to look one up   Riverford might be a good one to look at . It's not the one I use anymore for various reasons but its a larger one and  will give you a good idea how
These schemes work .
The vegbox delivery scheme that I am trying out at the moment sells many different deli , store cupboard , meat , fish , cheese , dairy products etc and quite a big organisation .

Eggs I mostly buy from a farm shop or a farmers market as they are always very fresh .

Farmers markets are in many towns and cities but by no means are they everywhere in the UK , they sell produce direct from farmers if small producers . These are good but have a reputation of being fairly pricy in comparison to the supermarkets ... But things often taste better they are fresh , seasonal and havnt traveled so far. 
These markets might be held only once a month , once a week , or more depending on where in the uk you live .

Hope this helps .

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 23 Mar 14 7:55am

Maree

Forum super champ

Good, comprehensive response, Mummza  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 23 Mar 14 11:13am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

You'd be wanting to look into what companies make up the market and how many of those are owned by the same group. I don't think anyone here has that kind of knowledge. Try a library at a large educational, ideally tertiary, institution.

Likes (3)

#6 Sun 23 Mar 14 3:45pm

saq16

Member since Sat 22 Mar 14

Thanks you mummza and everyone else who responded and ill try and see if i can find some books one more time big_smile.

And yes this is for a high school assignment big_smile.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 23 Mar 14 8:29pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Good luck smile

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 23 Mar 14 9:44pm

mummza