Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sun 16 Dec 12 11:05pm

kah22

Member since Mon 04 Apr 11

Re: Butter Free Puff Pastry

Khum thanks for you comment. I note that you are a Food Technologist and you seem pretty much keyed into fats, what would you recommend that I could try.

I  see you are  from the Netherlands so are probably not that aware of what's available in our supermarkets. Hard Stork margarine would be what I'd normally use to replace butter. Then of course we have the various types of lard and vegetarian fat.

Maybe it's not practical for the occasional baker to use anything other than butter?

Kevin

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 17 Dec 12 6:02am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

If I were you I'd use stork margarine . It would do the same job as the butter as its solid and would roll to make the layers.
The flavour is not the same as butter but many people have used this for years and as far as I know  its been made with baking in mind.

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 17 Dec 12 1:27pm

Khun

Occupation Food Technologist
From The Netherlands
Member since Sat 19 Feb 05

kah22 wrote:

Khum thanks for you comment. I note that you are a Food Technologist and you seem pretty much keyed into fats, what would you recommend that I could try.

I  see you are  from the Netherlands so are probably not that aware of what's available in our supermarkets. Hard Stork margarine would be what I'd normally use to replace butter. Then of course we have the various types of lard and vegetarian fat.

Maybe it's not practical for the occasional baker to use anything other than butter?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Actually, both fat and puff pastry are not my 'core' thing, but I do know the theory of puff pastry because I used about 100kg puff pastry during a project  wink

I looked it up for you, but it says that in the UK there should be a product called 'puff pastry margarine'. This of course would be ideal, but I don't know if this is available on the consumer market. I am not familiar with Hard Stork Margarine, but I can tell you this: The most important thing is that the fat (whether you use butter or margarine) should be kneadable. It must have about the same consistency as your puff pastry dough.

If the fat is too hard, your dough will break during making the many layers... if your fat is too soft your fat will smooth out too much and unevenly. This is exactly what makes making puff pastry so hard.

Now, I learned that when you use butter the ideal temperature of the butter when making the layers is 15 degree Celsius. During making these layers the temperature increases of course, so make sure you cool down your puff pastry (covered with foil) in the fridge from time to time. Using a harder margarine is easier I think: if this is kneadable at 20-25 degree celsius you won't have to refridgerate at all and can make the many layers in one go.

However, remember that making these many fat layers and dough layers is one thing (and a hard one too). This gives you a flaky texture, but doesn't provide it's rising during baking. That is what the water in the dough is for: the water evaporates and puffs the dough layers from the fat layers making it nice and fluffy. So it's very important that you cover puff pastry with foil while making/ handling it or when thawing it (when you use those out of the freezer), otherwise the sheets dehydrate before you bake it and end up with a flat product.

Greetz,
Khun

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 18 Dec 12 2:05am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Stork wouldn't be kneadable at 20-25C, it would be too soft. It's a bit softer than butter.

Unless you're talking about a variant of Stork margarine?

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 24 Dec 12 2:15am

lindsey28

Member since Fri 23 Mar 12

I have seen a butter free butter I'm sure I have it supposed to taste like butter but its dairy free.

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 27 Dec 12 7:59pm

Khun

Occupation Food Technologist
From The Netherlands
Member since Sat 19 Feb 05

lindsey28 wrote:

I have seen a butter free butter I'm sure I have it supposed to taste like butter but its dairy free.

Hi Lindsey,

It's actually not really difficult to make imitation butter. It's pretty easy to make a fat that has similar texture and properties as butter. And for the butter taste there are some excellent flavours available. I used one such a flavour for making butterscotch fudge... whoa such a strong flavour!!!!, but when dosed properly delicious in these sorts of things!

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 28 Dec 12 12:33pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

I have been using ready made vegan puff pastry for years. It comes from Woolworths supermarket frozen section. It works well and gets around the lactose intolerants in the family.

I don't know exactly which butter substitute they use but I have had some really good results in all kinds of baking with Nuttilex original, but actually nobody likes the taste of it as a spread.

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 25 Mar 14 11:09am

deanne.jones.98

Occupation Stage Manager
From Glasgow
Member since Tue 25 Mar 14

I realise this is an old thread but I've been endlessly searching for the right fat and this recipe has worked a treat for me:

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup coconut oil, solid
1/4 cup ice water
2 tbs milk

I got this from a blog called Adventures with Foodie Felisha.

Using coconut butter has changed a lot of baking for me and it's great.

Be aware some brands of oil have a strong natural coconut flavour but you can get ones without so as not to affect your final bake.

I am also guilty of spreading the natural flavoured oil on freshly baked bread or toast and devouring it unashamedly!

Good luck!

Likes (3)