#61 Sun 24 Aug 14 3:11pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: August 2014 Challenge!

user2014 wrote:

coco, this is very interesting southern north american food, cajun is my fave cuisine, what is corn sabayon, sheryl how do you do your mornay sauce ?

I cooked corn in milk and butter, with a dash of salt and pepper. When it was done I blended it and put it though a chinoise. Keep the liquid, toss the corn bits. In a double boiler on low heat, like you would if you made hollondaise, I put in an egg yolk and wisked in a little at a time the milk, butter, corn juice until it made a nice sauce.

Likes (0)

#62 Sun 24 Aug 14 8:50pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

nice sauce,thank you for sharing it,coco... and i know what is hollandaise sauce checked chef boris petrovs book for it... btw he is a famous bulgarian chef,restraunter.

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#63 Mon 25 Aug 14 12:32am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Those chips are making my mouth water Kou! How I wish they were part of my childhood cooked like that! We had yummy chips as part of fish and chips and my mum occasionally made them (she cut them into slices that ended up as triangles because of the curve of the potatoes).
But nothing we had compares to having them cooked outside in a big pan of olive oil!

ANN blackberrying was part of my childhood too. In fact, when I read your post I thought I must have written about it already, and you were answering! We went to a place far up the Yarra river and picked and ate and swam and picnicked, and then came home when we had jam making the following day, and blackberry pie for dessert.

Likes (0)

#64 Mon 25 Aug 14 12:36am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

cohphanta wrote:

Southern Food! This again is my spin on some southern classics. I roasted sweet potatoes with beets, fried pork chop with gravy, fried green tomato, with corn sabayon topped with tomato and cucumber salad.

How tasty these would be. I'd love to try them. Thanks for explaining the corn sabayon. I can imagine already how well the tastes would go together!

Likes (0)

#65 Mon 25 Aug 14 12:01pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student

yes,coco thank you alot,joy how do you make your blackberry pie, i once tried to make a quiche lorraine and it turned very good we followed the original recipe for it, and i loved my grandmas banitsas, she filled the pastries with cheese,added butter,milk, i love milky banitsa...and yes she made beautiful bulgarian mekici scones which are a deep fried pastry filled with jam, i missed this food, she also loved to make spaghetti... coco i once made a gravy,well helping aunt by stirring it, it was magic sauce... i also have a memory for the  briar  marmalade, it was just like a chocolate... and better lol .

Likes (0)

#66 Tue 26 Aug 14 7:51am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

It was my mum who made the blackberry pie User, and I don't know her recipe, but it was delicious.

Kou I love your snails posts, I am fascinated by the memories that are so different from my own childhood. I'm ashamed to say that we would have been disgusted at the very thought!

Likes (0)

#67 Tue 26 Aug 14 10:48am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I love snails but they certainly weren't part of my childhood. It would never have occurred to us (or anyone I knew back then) to eat them. I didn't even eat them when I was in France (was their Summer).

You've seen this photo from the French challenge a few months back. I was preparing them for clients.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#68 Tue 26 Aug 14 11:23am

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student

one thing i wont eat-snails, i would kill them because they are pests, i love mussels,but snails-no! puke -maree this is a good idea-snails in butter,so french -who knew that those two things are so great with eachother,how you prepared them. i always thought that they are hard to eat... and what types of snails are edible i dont know as i am very curious...

Likes (0)

#69 Tue 26 Aug 14 11:51pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

There used to be (maybe still is) a snail farm not far from where I live. These were simply done- garlic and parsley butter (parsley is meant to negate the effects of garlic-breath). These snails came out of a tin (top right of the photo).

Oh, and I eat mussels, too (but hadn't heard of them, let alone ate them when I was a kid).

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#70 Tue 02 Sep 14 2:04pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

We need a winner!

Likes (0)