OF OUR GOAL OF £1,300,000!
• More than a million 16- to 24-year-olds are without a job, more than at any time since records began in 1992.
• Unemployment benefits have risen from 6,000 in 2008 to just fewer than 50,000
The Fifteen Apprentice Programme is a benchmark for apprentice-style training in the UK. The pioneering programme creates new employment opportunities for young disaffected people, between the ages of 18 and 24, who are in need of a second chance in life.
• 96% of children do not eat the recommended 5 a day.
• The UK has the highest childhood obesity rate in Europe.
• 1 in 4 UK kids are already overweight or obese by the age of 4; by 11yrs olds this has risen to 1 in 3.
Jamie Oliver's Kitchen Garden Project is aimed at getting food education back on the school curriculum, and ultimately teaching kids where food comes from and how it's grown as well as the hands-on experience of cooking in the classroom. It's about inspiring a generation of kids in the hope that they wont become part of the alarming rate of diet-related illnesses.
• The number of obese adults is set to rise by 73% over the next two decades.
• UK is most obese country in Europe.
Jamie's Ministry of Food project aims to tackle the lack of basic cooking knowledge amongst people of all ages. The convenience of fast food, and perceived cost benefits, has created a generation that is faced with a crippling obesity epidemic. And it's increasing at a frightening rate.
We have school kitchens and gardens to build, unemployed young people to train and a generation of people in need of basic cooking skills. Our work is diverse, but it's highly targeted in order to tackle issues head on. Our technique is simple: we use the magic of food to address some of the startling issues around food and education.