forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 12 Sep 11 5:27am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Any tips for cooking steak?

It sounds like your schnitzel is actually the meat for making a schnitzel, not a finished schnitzel.

Sorry, I'm even confusing myself. A schnitzel is a thin piece of meat fried in breadcrumbs. If what you've got doesn't have breadcrumbs on it, then it's probably just thin-cut beef and the intention is that you bash it thinner, dip it in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and fry it.

Or you could use it for a different recipe. If it's what I'm imagining, it would probably go well in a stir-fry or fajitas. Google around for some recipes.

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 12 Sep 11 5:32am

hippytea

From Scotland

My experience of making steaks is as follows:

1. buy expensive steaks
2. heat cast-iron griddle very hot
3. rub steaks with oil
4. put steaks in pan and leave there for recommended time. Flip.
5. Reset smoke alarm
6. Wonder if steaks are done yet, as smoke is getting unbearable
7. Open all windows and doors in desperation. Reset smoke alarm again.
8. Remove steaks slightly too early and put to rest for recommended time
9. Fill pan with water, creating terrifying, hissing steam bath which puts a stop to raging smoke, but means house now filled with steam.
10. Reset smoke alarm again.
11.Eat steaks. Experience disappointment at unexpected toughness. Dip in ketchup.
12. Vow never to buy steaks again.

The procedure is much the same with pork loin chops, although there's the added excitement of finding a pink bit next to the bone and wondering if we're all going to die.

Overall, I prefer to make burgers.

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 12 Sep 11 7:09am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I am a very simple kind of guy  tongue (no comments from the peanut gallery pls ) when it comes to steak.. I want to taste steak. This means no sauce, usually just salt and pepper or homemade steakspice.(similar to montreal steakspice). 

Edited .. Don't salt you steak til just before you are grilling.  No more than three minutes before grilling or it can draw out too much moisture and also effect the texture of the meat. . There are some recommendations not to salt til after grilling but I disagree after experimentation.  The salt on the outside while the high heat hits it causes extra browning as it draws moisture and denatures the protien on the surface of the steak which means    more flavour   yummy

I don't uses timing methods anymore . The thickness and type steak really make these hit and miss . Different types of steak have different density of meat, also fat moves heat faster so well marbled meats will cook faster than leaner ones.

There are two broad types of steaks(beef) in my opinion . braising and grilling.

high heat frying or grilling braising steaks is just asking for disappoinment .

My heat of choice for grilling steaks is natural lump charcoal  or woodfire coals. With either you can easily get grilling temps of over  600F (315c approx) 

natural lump is just wood that has been charred without the presence of oxygen, it is not those nasty chemical briquette things.

A lot of advice for steaks recommends only flipping once and making half turning each side but I am in the flip lots camp now . The only flip once and do half turns on each side is aimed at one thing, appearance. Nice diamond shaped marks.  Flipping lots is aimed purely at flavour, the more browning  the better , and it also allows the steak to cook more evenly.   

I have grilled enough steaks that I can just push on one now and look at it and have a very good idea where  it is at.  This only comes with experience though and a good way to absolutely know your steak is where you want it to be is to use an instant read thermometer.

pull them when they are there and let rest for at least 3 -5 mins.

Another good tip similar to mummzas for doness of meat . using one hand  place  each of your fingertips against the thumbtip  on the same hand.  now push on the pad of muscle at the base of that thumb with the index finger of your other hand

forefinger/index is medium rare
middle  medium
ring finger medium well
pinkie is cremated ( aka well done)

second edit

I know Jamie and many others recommend oiling steak or other meats before grilling but I am firmly against it.. With high heat in grilling the oil just doesn't have a high enough smoke point and it taints the meat with a burnt taste .  A properly heated and seasoned and clean  grill grate is the key and then wiping that down  just before placing the steaks on with a lightly oil soaked clean rag.. There will be a bit of smoke that comes off the grid/grate after you wipe it, once that has cleared r you can place your meat on . don't fiddle with it right away but when it is ready it will release from the grill  perfectly.

A couple of pics from my blog.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=43038

notice the nice diamond pattern on them from my pre-multiflip conversion days.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=43040

Last edited by Ashen (Mon 12 Sep 11 7:24am)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#14 Tue 13 Sep 11 4:44am

dmfootycoach

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Mon 11 Jan 10

Ashen once again has got it right. Steak types will throw you for a loop each and every time. Then throw in wild game cuts and life gets even more confusing. And yes salting prior to grilling is a no-no.
You can do something similar to what I do just after a grill rebuild. First tip is stay away from T-bone or Porterhouse during this as really you're dealing with 2 different meat cuts.
Buy 1 or 2 or 3 Massive steak(s) and break it into 4 x 4 in squares and grill or (fry) (BRRRR)
Do the poke test think its rare. Lightly brown outer pink almost red innner. Cut it in the middle. If you got it make a mental note or write it down.
Go on through the process
Medium darker brown lightly pink in the middle
Well Done dark brown outer brown inner.
Over time you'll just get it. I do this just to find the hot spots on my grill. Once you have the most important part of doneness to your (your family  preference) you can mess about with flavourings.
Often I find store bought sauces just mess with a perfectly done steak.
For me knock off its horns smoke for 1/2 hr and then throw on the grill till its just about done mooing. Daughter done mooing and then theres the wife shoe leather (in my opinion)

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 13 Sep 11 7:25am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

I buy according to the occasion. For any old bbq or even friends around it's usually sirloin or rib eye. For a crazy meat feast it's a rib eye chop. For a special meal it's grass fed Scottish filet, I usually get them a week in advance and ask the butcher to vacuum seal them. I then keep the steaks in the fridge to age a bit further.

On salting, this can be a good way of using some cheaper cuts of meat to get a similar effect to dry-ageing.

Sometimes the butcher we use has specials, I once got two whole filets for a very good price.

I always shop by eye, I seem to instinctively know a good piece of meat. I realise that this is not something that everybody can do and find it hard to explain to someone who does not get it.

With beef, it is not necessarily at it's best if it is too bright red. Darkened meat usually indicates some ageing. This generally means the meat will taste better.

Don't be put off by fat, I've been through a fat-phobic phase and realise how people get spooked out when they see fat. Good marbling on a steak is essential, the fat stops the meat from drying out and keeps it nice and juicy.

Butchery over here is a hit and miss affair. Some cuts get butchered right, some don't. I once got a big piece of Sirloin for a roast, it was badly butchered. I was able to cut it down to a really good piece and had enough offcuts to make a steak and kidney pudding.

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 13 Sep 11 9:41am

hippytea

From Scotland

I've never had any luck cooking steaks, but if I buy one in a restaurant it's ribeye I go for. It's the tastiest in my opinion.

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 18 Sep 11 6:59am

Question

Member since Mon 07 Mar 11

Should i cut the steak into smaller pieces before frying it?

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 18 Sep 11 10:33am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

No leave it as one piece of meat

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 25 Sep 11 2:06pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

I now have both Cherry and Hickory chips, I really need to get into serious smoking.

I usually throw a few chips onto the coals and drop the lid down when cooking steaks. This gives a nice smokey hint to the flavour of the steak.

Likes (0)

#20 Mon 26 Sep 11 8:19am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

every smoke has its appeal for certain things.   My preferred for steak  is sugar maple or apple.  Mesquite is quite distinctive and can take over if you give too much smoke to the steak. Hickory, cherry, oak are nice on occason.  I have used pecan and pear in the past but while not horrible ,I wouldn't bother if I had one of the other kinds to use.

A mix of pear and apple for smoking pork though awesome.

I love pecan on chicken..  yummy

Last edited by Ashen (Mon 26 Sep 11 8:19am)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)