Carribean Carrot and mango soup
Added by nadia-ana-louis | Fri 30 Nov 2012 @ 16:58
My soup\'s influences and hero\'s...Lovely carrot and corriander combination, Indian spices, refreshing and sweet mango, a kick of chilli and creamy coconut. The combination is unreal and works so well. Its a comforting, thick and flavour packed soup which everyone loves...and obviously a the perfect partner is fresh baked bread with a nice spread of butter. ( I love to pop some cardamom in the bread to compliment the indian twang to the soup)
I can promise once you\'ve made this easy soup, you\'ll revist the recipe and impress your family and friends :)
- 5 Carrots
- 2 White onions/ 1 red
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 300ml Coconut milk (50ml for a decoration)
- 1 Red chilli
- 1/2 lemon juices
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp curry powder/ 1 tbsp tumeric
- 1 Mango
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp corriander
- ( optional: fresh rosemary)
- 2 bay leaves
- 400ml water
- Salt and Pepper (season to your own taste)
- Slice and dice carrots & onions. Fry $ sautee in butter, salt&pepper, and 1 garlic clove ( nice big sauce pan) for 15mins on medium heat.
- Mix in the chilli and 1/2 juices from lemon
- Add stock cube to the saucepan with the water, along with all your spices, bay leaf and curry powder. Continue to simmer for 30 mins, covered on medium heat.
- Now add your mango (sliced and peeled), sugar and the rest of the garlic.
- Cook, uncovered for a further 20mins
- Remove from heat ( remove the bay leaves) and blend it all up in a food processor.
- Return back to the saucepan and add the coconut milk; simmer gently for the last 10 mins.
- Taste and season to your liking ( I usually add a dash of tabasco and some more corriander :) Also a nice swirl of the cocounut cream for decoration.
- Serve and slip into a soup paradise!!