Added by Allora Andiamo | Tue 17 Feb 2009 @ 22:11
approx 800g minced beef
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and cubed
2/3 cup of frozen peas (optional)
approx• 250ml beef stock
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
Salt and black pepper to season
Potato Cheese Topping:
6 large potatoes,boiled and mashed with a little milk and butter
1 handful of grated mature Cheddar cheese (or mature Gouda)
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Pinch of nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 190C.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the minced meat till browned.
3. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onions to the pan and fry till lightly browned.
4.Add the tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes before adding the beef, carrots, peas and herbs.
5. Add the beef stock and season with salt and pepper.
6. Cook over a low heat for about 20mins, adding a bit more stock if it seems too dry (see note)
7. Transfer the meat into a large baking dish or ovenproof casserole.
8. Top with the mashed potatoes (which has been mixed with the cheeses and nutmeg) and score the top with a fork. You can either dot a little butter over the potatoes or spray a little olive oil over the top as I did.
9. Bake at 190C for approx 30mins, till golden.
Note: If you prefer more gravy in your pie double the quantity of stock and thicken with a little cornflour towards the end of cooking.