Added by Le Chef Nu | Wed 10 Jun 2009 @ 17:30
This Twist will really change the taste of your Onion Soup and blow you out of this world!! :)
1 large onion per person!
250ml of beef or game stock per person.
Fresh thyme stick.
2 or 3 bay leafs
2 eggs yolks
White martini or porto a glass full regardless up to 6 people.
15 grams of butter per person.
French hard cheese gruyere or emmental (can even use swiss hard cheese)
- Cut the onions in very thin rings.
- Melt the butter in a large pan to cook the onions till slightly golden and wet.
- Add two table spoons of flour in the onions and stir for a few seconds to mix it in well
- Add the hot stock to the mix slowly stirring continually.
- Add the thyme and bay leafs hint of nutmeg
- Stir till boiling on high heat
- Then simmer for 30 minutes with a covered dish stirring occasionally and tasting to salt and pepper to taste.
- In the meantime cut the bread and grill
- Rub the garlic on one side on the bread
- Then cover the bread with the grated cheese on a grill dish ready to melt the cheese.
- Once the soup is cooked, take off the heat,
- Now melt the cheese on the bread ready to be served.
- Take only the two egg yolks & mix in with the martini or Porto
- Add to the soup stirring thoroughly.
- Serve the soup and put 3 slices of the cheesy bread on top.
Other suggestions if you have time for better results, instead of French stick. Add croutons to the soup when you serve it in the soup bowls put grated cheese on top, and melt the cheese till golden under a hot grill then serve the soup like that this is the real onion soup, but its time consuming, so I opt for the french stick.