- 350g sultanas
- 350g raisins
- 150g dates ( soaked and chopped up small)
- 150ml brandy
- 2 apples chopped up small (opt)
- 1 orange zest and juice
- 6 free range organic eggs or egg replacement and water
- 250g suet shredded (gluten free or can use butter and lard but must be frozen before grating)
- 350g soft muscovado sugar
- 250g bread crumbs ( gluten free)
- 175g GF self-raising flour( rice flour can be used)
- 1 tsp mixed spice (sweet)
- other products that can be added
- 125g mixed peel (most contain gluten)
- 75g glace cherries ( most contain gluten)
You need 2 2lb pudding case or 4 1lb ones, greeseproof paper, a big saucepan, butter and a pastry brush.
Soak fruit to be used in sherry for at least a week!! or orange juice overnight. mix together apples,orange juice and zest, suet, beaten eggs,sugar and bread crumbs into a large bowl. Add the flour ( also add dried egg replacer at this point if used) and the soaked fruit and spice stir all together add a little bit more brandy at this point if required!!
Divide into the cases leaving about an inch from the top in the 1lbs and about 2 inches in the 2lbs, just so they can rise a bit. Place on the top of the mixture a buttered piece of grease proof, make it bigger than the top, then place the lid ontop and seal down. Place puddings into a pan, add the water so its an inch from the top of the pudding, bring to the boil and simmer for 6hrs, adding more hot water every 20 mins or so, you must keep your eye on it. When cooked leave to cool, wipe off any excess fat from the case,it does happen sometimes, re-wrap with greaseproof paper and foil, make a little hand grip with the foil, because you need to simmer it again on the day its to be eaten for about 30mins to serve hot. To give as a gift, like I did to Jamie, I tied a bit of gold and red thin ribbon around the handle part and it looked great. Please be careful at all times with the removal of the pudding from the hot water. Hope you will enjoy, this recipe can be adapted to real bread crumb and flour mixes.